Mobile RX6000s in 2021

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by BrightSmith, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    And here I would be happy with a 175w-225w option but then again I would prefer to only carry 1 330w ac adapter around but for extended stays dual bricks is an easy ask

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If they had just a smidgen of ingenuity they would develop a single 700-800W brick similar to what Eurocom created and then we could skip the dual brick nonsense. It was comparable in size and weight to a single 330W adapter. But, they don't. They just keep recycling the same bad ideas because being awesome and making something awesome are just not very important to them.

SMGJohn, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    They could even create a smaller 500w adapter. Nvida/Amd have castrated the mobile graphics cards so heavly nowadays that 500W is more than enough.

4. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    It would be lovely if they consulted this forum for creating a high end, mid level, and budget option and actually leveled with us on difficulties they foresee like panel supply, component operation, power envelopes, MUX operation (or lack thereof) and actually followed through.

They could go in kind of like Google did, you set up tenants you want in place and work with OEM/ODM to produce the product.

Sleep aids hitting me now lol cant think straight

Vasudev, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    If the RX6700M is a direct translation of the 6700 XT and comes within ~10% of its desktop counterpart like the 5700M was, it would be faster than the mobile RTX 3070.

We'll see how many Tiger Lake laptops pick it up, assuming AMD is smart enough to have it ready soon.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    BrightSmith, Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That is precisely what needs to happen. It's long overdue and the only reason it would not be feasible is the lameness of notebook design. There is no excuse for the way any of them are gimped other than the need to be because of the digital anorexia phenomenon that has all but destroyed the notebook industry. When you stop and think about it, things are totally idiotic and bass ackwards... gigantic smartphones and mickey mouse laptops... it is so dumb... too stupid for words, even. But, that's the world we live in now.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    ViktorV, Atma, DaMafiaGamer and 6 others like this.
  7. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    According to NBR however: the RX6700M power consumption (TDP settings) ranges from 90 - 135 Watt with different clock speeds" which means it's as severely power limited as the rtx3700

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-RX-6700M-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.515472.0.html

8. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    MorePowerTool can override TGP settings for 5600M/5700M. It can help close the gap with the desktop equivalents provided the laptop can handle it. I was able to boost the Alpha 17 by about 15% before it starts tripping the 230W power supply under load.

Clamibot, Mr. Fox and BrightSmith like this.
  9. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Navi was surprisingly versatile, though it wouldnt have taken any performance crowns so I guess its might be why AMD or OEMs didnt push for it? I dont know

10. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    OEMs would've used it (my speculation) if AMD come with it sooner than late August of 2020. Why would they refresh laptops for the 5700M, when CES was a few months away and they were busy preparing Ampere board designs?

AMD was so late with 5000M it bordered on incompetence. Or it was apathy to the laptop market.

Who know, but the late release did the company no favors.

Reciever likes this.