Mobile RX6000s in 2021

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by BrightSmith, Mar 11, 2021.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Lol these journalists are a joke. This game is literally Vulkan API only, and they use it as an example of a DX11 title.

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    As is so often the case, Company A makes excellent products and then a bigger Company B buys them and almost immediately ruin the good thing they bought. Lenovo ruined IBM, HP ruined Compaq and VoodooPC. Acer ruined Gateway and Dell ruined Alienware.

The story here is the same sad and unfortunate saga played with its own unique cast of characters.

ATi was top dog in the GPU space. NVIDIA walked in the shadow of their glory. AMD had only CPUs. They bought out and immediately destroyed ATi, which was the industry leader in graphics technology. The ATi Radeon 5000 series was the best in the industry during its generation. It was the last year for the ATi brand. AMD Radeon 6000 series ran good, overclocked nicely, but was very unreliable and prone to failure. It still got beat by an overclocked GeFarts GPU, but it put up one helluva fight. AMD Radeon 7000 sucked at overclocking and it was unreliable. It held its ground against a stock NVIDIA GPU, but got its butt kicked real bad as soon as overclocking was accounted for. The competing GeFarts GPU tore its head off and pooped down its neck when overclocking kicked in. Nothing they did after 2011 mattered. ATi was merely a fond memory of something that was once great. Every GPU produced since was unreliable and offered crappy performance and sucked at overclocking. Fast forward to 2021... now RDNA2 graphics cards still suck at overclocking. They do OK stock if you don't care about DLSS or Ray tracing. It remains to be seen if they are reliable. It remains to be seen if the mobile version is more than another cruel and sadistic joke on the turdbook jockeys.

In the interest of self-preservation, Team Red would be wise to stick to consoles, where there is no shadow of NVIDIA to draw attention to their performance shortcomings. We need competition for the Green Goblin, but they're not bringing it. Maybe Intel will. Probably not, but we can hope so.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  3. kothletino

kothletino Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Indeed Sir.:)

It's more about who "invented" the pizzas.:D

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's telling that this thread quickly became more about past than future AMD gpus... :D

5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ok now i see your side....guess thats true

now if i remember correctly it was like a 5770 not a desktop 5870....now we have a 3080 thats like a 3070 desktop...times have changed and so have pc games....i miss the days of being blown away with games like half life 1 and 2...

another fun fact my intel uhd 620 intergrated graphics runs games just as well.. back then people said intel would catch up in 20 years...now that we have intel xe and vega apus and igpus i see 3080 power happening in them in 7 years. which is good for people that did not have the time to play all the latest and greatest ports each year...me for example have bioshock and would like to play it and even on my igpu i can

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The use of a small shared slice and comparatively slow system RAM will always be an Achilles' Heel for integrated graphics. Performance will almost assuredly never be on par with even low-end discreet graphics with its much faster and much larger capacity memory.

Can you use it, versus should you use it, for gaming really depends on what the expectations are and what kind of games are being played. Anything demanding is going to be challenging unless you dramatically lower the bar on image quality, resolution and framerate.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    yeah but by then we will have ddr6 or something....bandwidth yes thats an issue....but for example bioshock i can run at 1080p normal settings and average 50fps....be right back

8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Bioshock is 13-14 years old though

Vasudev, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    i just used it as an example because its graphics have held up quite well..

and about ati amd its all semantics....who cares in the end...

but for games its really sad we only gett independant games and like 4 aaa games released that are actually pc games like MSFS 2020

10. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You could say the same for Mass Effect 2/3, not sure if its "holds up well" versus just diminishing returns for additional resolutions and technologies.

I might download BioShock, its been a decade since I played it...

Mr. Fox and JRE84 like this.