Mobile Polaris Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by moviemarketing, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAY8387

JAY8387 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

thank you for letting us know, that is disappointing to hear. I guess its beacuse the expect the wont be able to sell enouth to make it worth producing/designing an mxm bord

2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    In all reality, it seems that the GTX 970M, GTX 980M, R9 M290X, and custom designed R9 M295X are the final MXM 3.0B cards to be released, which is quite unfortunate.

JAY8387 likes this.
  3. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Even if they made MXMish board (the new GPUs are odd with odd hole placement), what are the chances to fit into old machines? None. Terrible news, none the less. Everyone stepped out of their way to stuff DTM 980 into their machines, but they can't do the same for AMD. Whatever, no Clevos for me.

Ashtrix likes this.
  4. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    It is sad but MSI seems to be the only one making standard MXM sized cards since their 1070 fitted in the P750DM according to Prema.. Clevo are pretty dead as a brand as a result of their shenanigans this time.. Very disappointed by their custom 1070/1080 crapola this time...

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

steberg, Ashtrix and triturbo like this.
  5. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very much in agreement here. How on earth would a silly overpriced 980 design take root but creating MXM boards for AMD is not possible? What a load of rubbish. Clevo was going to be my next machine once my M15x crapped out but never now.

What a sorry state of affairs. Looks like I won't be getting another laptop after all. So very sad!

6. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    But... why would Clevo put Polaris 11 on MXM board? Or you still have hopes about Polaris 10 Mobile this year?

7. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Polaris 10. I'm pretty sure we'll see it in MobileWorkstation, but quite likely wont be by the year's end. The WX 7100 gives me hopes.

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The moment they announced 980 in a laptop, I think I was one of the first people to speak out on how ridiculous it is that they will bend over for Nvidia and even push for full grade desktop GPU in a laptop, while an AMD gpu of same TDP as 980m ends up throttling because the cooling is never sufficient for it.
    Same for APU's that end up with garbage components.

These OEM's are likely getting more money out of Nvidia, hence more design wins and coming up with flimsy excuses every time AMD is mentioned.

9. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I mean its looking like Clevo owners are SOL for nVidia cards as well. The 1080 is not going to fit in the current gen P870DM if what people have been saying is true. 1070 might but only because MSI has to keep its upgrade promise for GT72 and GT80 users.

10. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    The 1080 will fit a P870DM, just not in SLI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.