Mobile Polaris Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by moviemarketing, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The tested Polaris part is a desktop gpu, which on its own consumes about 30W (vs 70W for 965M) - in the demo, it was the whole system with Polaris which was consuming 86W (not the gpu on it's own).
    That's just over 50% more efficient while providing slightly better performance than 965M.

Depending on how much more AMD improves upon Polaris (considering that this was a desktop part that was tested after all), I wouldn't be surprised if we can get 980 Ti level performance at 100W.

Still, for now we can only wait and see what comes out.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  2. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That is valid argument but I still think they will bring something faster or make it faster.

3. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    At the moment nvidia have nothing to announce but rebrands. Good thing too.

AMD need this chance! We consumers should rejoice.

I was forced to NV but after so much trouble. Pulled OC support, bad driver support etc I think it foolish to have ANY trust and or faith in nvidia to keep the gaming enthusiast community alive and happy

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

TBoneSan likes this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Note: the whole system with Polaris gpu was consuming 86W... the Polaris GPU by itself was in the area of around 30W of total power consumption, so that's over 50% more efficient than GTX 950, and it was stated that further efficiency improvements will be incoming before its released.

6. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thanks, I can read.:rolleyes:

7. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I so far like what I am reading. Was a former AMD customer until 2007-2008 after my HD6870 desktop card started faulting out. This will save so much in costs down the road...

8. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/01/amd-confirms-high-end-polaris-gpu-in-development-for-2016/

"We have two versions of these FinFET GPUs. Both are extremely power efficient," said Koduri. "This is Polaris 10 and that’s Polaris 11. In terms of what we’ve done at the high level, it's our most revolutionary jump in performance so far. We've redesigned many blocks in our cores. We’ve redesigned the main processor, a new geometry processor, a completely new fourth-generation Graphics Core Next with a very high increase in performance."

"We believe we're several months ahead of this transition, especially for the notebook and the mainstream market," said Koduri. "The competition is talking about chips for cars and stuff, but not the mainstream market."

9. Hurik

Hurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not to mention that Ngreedia is again blatantly lying about their products by fake introduction of new Pascal chips, while in reality showcasing two Maxwell gpus. God, they are hopeless!
    http://videocardz.com/58116/did-nvidia-show-maxwell-instead-of-pascal

TomJGX, triturbo and hmscott like this.
  10. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Old news but yes if Polaris actually ends up being good and even more unlikely IF it ends up coming to MXM then it will be a sweaty time for Nvidia.

Q2 release for MX parts means probably Q4 earliest release for Pascal (if they are even ready). AMD could exploit this situation if they want. Will they? Doubtful. AMD have resided in the shadows since the 8800 GTX. When GCN was new they almost came back but not quite...that was 4 years ago!

hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.