Mobile Polaris Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by moviemarketing, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurik

Hurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    GeForce-GTX-1070-3DMark-FireStrike-Performance.png

2. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    That 's better :) Cheers! So we are looking at close to 980TI performance at stock 1266mhz as I thought :D

Bye bye Nvidia!

3. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    480X in mxm factor with identical specs is NO problem whatsoever, with performance slightly above desktop 980. would be a really sweet mobile option and a viable alternative to 1070M. but, of course, AMD wont do it, because reasons

Sent from my Huawei Mate 8 NXT-AL10

PrimeTimeAction and D2 Ultima like this.
  4. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, in all honesty, we still don't know whether those benchmarks are even accurate.
    However, if they are, then I would be inclined to say that at 1266 MhZ, the 480 could easily give 1070 a run for it's money.

However, what exactly do the benchmarks indicate?
    We've seen Polaris 10 being demonstrated in 2 DX12 titles where it bested both FuryX and 980Ti at high settings, 1440p by a marginal amount.
    And while 1070 for instance would likely be equally capable runner at DX12 and same resolution and settings... who the heck would in their right mind spend double the cash on 1070 when 480 offers comparable performance and might also be overclocked to surpass 1070 nicely at minimal power increase?

We really don't know what AMD will do with 480 in MXM factor.
    I would imagine that they could easily give us the 1266MhZ version (or slightly faster) for mobile, while the desktop version could end up at 1400 -1500 MhZ (which should be well within the 150W interface capabilities).

It's all speculation right now... but it looks like 480 (at 1266MhZ) in general could easily be used in 1440p and DX12 at high settings (I see 0 reason to use 'Ultra' as that's just a pointless waste of resources where you won't really notice any big differences to begin with).

I was thinking that when I get myself the new laptop, should I go with 1080p or 1440p?
    1080p seems like more than enough for 15"... though 1440p might be more suited for 17" (though I'm not sure if I want to go to a bigger laptop).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  5. Hurik

Hurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The guy leaked the image of Firestrike Ultra test was accused of uploading fakes and he responded by running live benchmark:

He got 3515 score and claims the card is MSI 480 and it's 8gb, but he had to replace the cooler with MSI lightning to avoid NDA, so the temps were super high.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  6. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Good News if these benches are true..Whether we get MXM cards from AMD is unknown but would be stupid of them to throw away this opportunity..

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Eindru likes this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, but as someone else pointed out, the Devide ID could have been modified so an older generation gpu would show up as 480.

As for the temperatures, it was described that the guy replaced the cooler with another one in order to avoid NDA, hence the high temps.

Too early to tell still I'm afraid considering there's a lot of people out there trying to skew views or make some sort of hype.

However, it does point to the premise that if these benchmarks are accurate, then the card is mere 14% slower than 1070... in which case, raising the clocks to match 1070 or even surpass it (while still remaining inside 150W on the desktop end) should be more than doable.

It also tells us that future drivers could easily raise these numbers by quite a bit.

Let's bear in mind that this is all still under NDA... so we could be seeing fake/modified results.
    We know nothing of what kind of performance will the final product have (early DX12 demo's indicate pretty high performance levels consistent/beyond with FuryX and 980Ti at highest settings at 1440p).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    Starlight5 and TomJGX like this.
  8. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    Agreed, June 29 is the date to look out for.. Then we will know how the RX480 really performs like.. Till then anything is speculation!

hmscott likes this.
  9. Link4

Link4 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    PC Gaming Show Tickets:
    http://future.ticketleap.com/pc-gaming-show/
    Sold Out :(

PC Gaming Show