Mobile Polaris Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by moviemarketing, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The thing is, AMD probably spend more time on R&Ding how to absolutely f*cked up a release then on actual R&D. Like seriously, for 290x, they had a great product, except they never released any information people wanted during their press conferences, had an absolute paper launch while nvidia had ample supplies of 780 tis ready. Bad heat/power consumption issues by cheaping out a cooler, no one would have mind paying an extra 20 dollars for a reference cooler thats doesnt wake up your entire block. Announcing mantle too early before any game was even close to ready in adapting it. A knee jerk response on free sync. etc etc.

For Fury, not allowing an AIB design for fury X and having a weird fury nano that I still have no idea who it targets. First of all, Nvidia can afford to do that with Titans by because they had the performance and the market share to be arrogant. And also nvidia release an equivalent card with better non reference designs soon after. AMD doing it just kinda hurts them. There is no point in buying a WCed card without a proper block on a reference PCB. In my eyes, Fury X was a total failure. Fury nano is weird because 2 slot cards works perfectly fine with most matx/mitx builds, whats the point of a fury nano? I have no idea. It would be nice to push to the mobile market but they didnt. The fury non x is actually a decent card with ability to unlock shaders for certain cards except its overshadowed by nvidia's offering and produce non significant improvements over nvidia counter parts outside of 4k/dx12. 390x/390 arent exactly bad rebrands but they are just still rebrands.

Fury series wasnt exactly a bad generation, just that nvidia have far impressive offerings. You could complain all about nvidia's tricks on 970 and maxwell clock switching, but the fact remains that nvidia absolutely dominates on the mobile market and have more or less a crown on desktop market with cards like the 980 TI KINGPIN.
    /rant

2. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Mobile will probably get GP104 which I doubt will use HBM2. Probably the new GDDR5X standard.

Mantle set in motion events that lead to DX12. It was about reducing the pointless overhead that existed on PC APIs. What we have is a better DirectX, and Mantle itself is the basis of Vulkan. It was one of the best things to happen in a long time. Freesync was not knee jerk, it is in many ways a better technology than Gsync from a cost perspective. And there is nothing wrong or bad about providing a free open alternative to another one of Nvidia's proprietary technologies. My notebook has a Gsync compatible panel and GPU, but I can't use it because my model didn't come with a Gsync "license" - basically I bought it a few months to early. Nvidia's ******** is tiresome.

AMD's desktop lineup has far better performance/$ in basically every segment. The fact 390X is a rebrand doesn't change the fact it often BEATS the GTX 980 yet is available for $100 cheaper. Like seriously, explain to me how the GTX 980 is a better buy than the 390X. What does it being a rebrand have to do with anything if it performs the same if not better and is available for cheaper? It's weird logic like this that leads to Nvidia owning 80% of the market. It makes no sense at all but there it is. Hawaii > GM204 but you wouldn't know it by looking at sales figures.

The mobile market though I agree is a mess for AMD. They need to follow Nvidia's lead and throw TDP out the window. Release Fury Nano in MXM form and piss all over NV's parade.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    TomJGX and triturbo like this.
  3. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I am look at it in terms of business decisions. As long as free sync seemed like a knee jerk movement, most people see it as that. And I think there is still a stigma against free sync. Same thing as mantle, great product, bad marketing. No one uses the name mantle now and thats the thing.

GTX 980 have technically lower power consumption and a lot more OC headroom. From what I saw, 390x is around the same as 980.

Being a rebrand means your used cards are heavily cannablizing your own sales. If someone can walk out and buy a 290x for way cheaper, why would he bother with a 390x. You have to give your consumer on incentive to buy new products.

Again purely business decisions.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Mantle did what it needed to do and with a strong high end option the price of free-sync will be very attractive.

5. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    I'd like to see one of these graphs for laptops.

It'd just be all green by now wouldn't it?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  6. Hurik

Hurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seems like news on Polaris are just keep coming!

http://wccftech.com/amd-unveils-polaris-11-10-gpu/

The article mentions two GPUs: one enthusiast class for desktops to replace Fury X and the other for thin and light gaming laptops, a so called "console-class gaming". Well, I am really concerned about this wording, since console-class gaming on laptops has been already available from 2010! My 7970M is already overkill for such comparisons. Hope we're not getting a 970M equivalent at a smaller form factor...

moviemarketing likes this.
  7. Cakefish

Cakefish ¯\_(?)_/¯

Reputations:
    Yeah but even 970M beats anything the PS4 can offer. You have to go down to a 965M to reach parity with the PS4.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

8. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    I don't understand how they were able to generate hype at CES about demo'ing slim laptop featuring GTX 950 level of performance. There have been numerous slim laptops far exceeding that already on the market for the past 2 years: comparison link

hmscott likes this.
  9. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Console-class gaming is what hears of majority of people would like to hear. Don't get this 5-th page of concerns about this therm. Or does anybody really believe that AMD is going to bring 965M -class of mobile GPU? That would be too AMD-ish... I mean old AMD not nowadays one.
    P.S. All it means just minimum 60fps gaming on any game of 2016 on medium, nothing else (and nothing less), I bet.

10. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    In the CES demo, they were running the Polaris 10 card alongside GTX 950, specifically to show the performance was about equal but drawing only 86W (compared to 140W GTX 950).

The GTX 950 is only slightly faster than 965M (70W), handily beat by 970M(100W) from 2014.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.