Mobile Polaris Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by moviemarketing, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    AMD has made a lot of mistakes in the past that pushed a lot of us into the nVidia camp (myself included) but nVidia has really been making a lot of us mad lately so its really anyone's guess what's going to happen at this point.

TomJGX, TBoneSan and hmscott like this.
  2. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    You're not wrong there. All AMD need to do is release a winner that can overclock and I'll jump on board. Nvidia have grown far too arrogant for my liking.
    In fact, I'd love the opportunity to help Huang wipe the hubris off his face.

triturbo, Ethrem and hmscott like this.
  3. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm seriously debating my next desktop card... Although I still have to RMA my 780 Ti and apparently EVGA has been upgrading them to 980s and I could live with a 980 for awhile.

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  5. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nvidia are on notice as far as I'm concerned. Is Maxwell performance is going to go the same way as Kepler once Pascal is out (ie fall behind the AMD products they were supposed to compete with)?

If this becomes a trend I won't buy NV ever again. Maxwell was just alot better than any of AMD's mobile counterparts so I feel like I had no choice, but if 12 months down the line the M295X ends up better than my 970M due to Nvidia completely forgetting Maxwell exists then that will be the nail in the coffin and I just won't ever consider them again. I'll take slightly less performance at release if it means my GPU will be supported properly in the long term.

On the desktop the choice is easy as there is a proper alternative to NV's lineup. The 290X ended up having incredible legs, great card imo.

triturbo, TBoneSan and Ethrem like this.
  6. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Unfortunately the writing is on the wall for Maxwell once DX12 takes off. Maxwell is terrible at asynchronous compute and nVidia isn't going to be able to convince developers not to use it. We will have to wait for more DX12 titles to be released but seeing as how DX12 is pretty much tailor made for GCN, AMD could very well wipe the floor with nVidia.

TomJGX, TBoneSan and hmscott like this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Uhm... no.
    These performance gains on AMD's end (2.5 times perfomance per watt over Fiji) would effectively be consistent with what Pascal is supposed to bring over Maxwell (about twice perf. per watt)... and that's just a very baseline extrapolation off the entry level Polaris desktop card that was indicated to be open to further optimizations.

So, both upcoming AMD and Nvidia gpu's should be more or less comparable (whoever gains an upper hand on DX12 though is an open game... however, we do have indications for now that AMD may be ahead of Nvidia in this area).

Laptops with AMD gpu's (high-end MXM ones) were usually cheaper than Nvidia's counterparts while offering similar performance.

At any rate, we won't know anything conclusively until either company comes out with more information or until they release their upcoming gpu's.
    But I wouldn't discount AMD. They may have made grandiose claims in the past, but they hadn't done this for years now, and their predictions in power saving and performance increases have been fairly consistent.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That would be awesome, I am always hopeful :)

9. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With how nvidia dont even have a working pascal MXM chip to show, this may turn into a fermi situation again. I think we are all tired of this monopoly in mobile market. As a consumer, I am only interested in the best product. Whoever makes the best product gets my money.

10. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think AMD coming out with Polaris before Nvidia does with Pascal would be good, since it would help them capture some of the market share back and possibly go unopposed for a while.

This is a major shift for both companies since there's a manufacturing process differential (AMD is using 14nm, and Nvidia will apparently be using 16nm) along with 2.5 times performance per watt for AMD and 2 times performance per watt for Nvidia.

Oh and here's more news about Polaris using both GDDR5 and HBM 2 :
    http://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-polaris-will-feature-hbm2-and-gddr5/

It would seem that GDDR5 will be reserved for mid-range and enthusiast products, while top-end will get HBM2.

Still no word on what mobile parts will be using, but I'm hoping top-end mobile Polaris gets HBM2.
    Only confirmation is that laptop Polaris parts will be available before back to school shopping season (or whatever the heck they call it) - which means this summer - or roughly 5 to 6 months from now.

Oh, and the article does confirm that the power reduction on demo-ed Polaris desktop part was tested with GDDR5, not HBM 2.
    So, top end solutions might end up with more performance than estimated (and maybe even Polaris Nano is in the works?).

Tidbits of info, but I'm liking what I'm reading... it is encouraging.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    TomJGX and triturbo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.