Mobile Polaris Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by moviemarketing, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link4

Link4 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And speaking of HBM2, interesting stuff just popped up on Videocardz.
    http://videocardz.com/58127/jedec-updates-hbm2-specifications

Sadly no indication of die size.

Edit: Straight from SK Hynix website [​IMG]

so apparently HBM is coming to consoles and maybe even notebooks (I know it only says PC but there is an image of a laptop at least!).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    triturbo, moviemarketing and hmscott like this.
  2. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    If we do get a top MXM card from AMD, I will be the FIRST to test it! Can't wait!!!!! Fingers crossed for mobile top end MXMB with HBM.

3. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    It seems a huge step forward, reminds me for the 3dfx's Rampage chip back in 2000. Hope AMD will manage to come out with and they stay in the business;

Besides with what mobile GPU equivalent a Geforce 950?

4. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    At stock, a 965M give or take.

Hence why I'm not interested in such a low end card. It might be great for the ultrabook-type machines, but compared to the rest of Pascal and Arctic Islands it isn't even gaming-class. That's like saying a GTX 550 equivalent from Kepler drawing minimal amounts of power and being put into a notebook was great. No, it's pointless. Nobody cares about the power of a GTX 550 using less TDP and running cool when you have a 780Ti on the market... that's the stuff that goes into cards like a GT1040M or something. Not even a gaming card.

No, AMD wants to impress me? Let them shove a 980Ti into a laptop at 100W TDP, have it be overclockable and run cool like a 980M. Then we'll talk.

5. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    980Ti performance inside of 100W might be possible at 14nm. AMD just needs to show some interest for once. I get the feeling they simply couldn't fund or were too understaffed to properly commit to mobile.

6. Hurik

Hurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The desktop GPU (not yet fully optimized) consuming only ~30W at load, even if it's an entry-level 950 equivalent, is an incredible improvement for the red team. Moreover, this colossal per-watt improvement comes only from the node shrinkage and does not include the HBM memory, so I agree with sniffin that making a 100W card with at least a desktop 980 performance (ideally 980Ti) shouldn't be too difficult. It would be very VERY disappointing if AMD doesn't make use of this efficiency for mobile segment.

Meanwhile, notebookcheck has also posted an article about it:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Energy...s-set-for-mid-2016-launch-Video.158182.0.html

triturbo likes this.
  7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, looking at these figures which compare AMD R9 Nano and GTX 980, I think AMD could accomplish the said task and deliver 980ti performance in 100W :
    http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r9-nano-versus-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980_177681

Nano is slated at 175W.
    Polaris is indicated to have 2.5 times more performance per watt than Fiji.
    So, at 175W, a Polaris Nano would easily surpass 980Ti (even an overclocked one)... plus we don't know what kind of additional benefits HBM 2 would bring in terms of performance and power savings when compared to HBM 1.

However, if you drop down the TDP from 175W to 100W, what kind of performance difference would there be?
    I mean, there wasn't too much of a performance drop for Nano compared to Fury X (about 10% drop in performance for 100W lower TDP).
    So, would that mean that a 75W Nano part would be 20% slower than Fury X or would the difference be greater?

Ok... if we theorize the drop would equate 50% performance reduction for a 75W Nano part... that's about 15-20% below 980ti (if my math is accurate), but a 100W part could be as fast if not faster than 980ti.

Of course, this is working off R9 Nano (Fiji) - which is more or less a special case scenario and has HBM 1.
    We have 0 clue how this could translate to mobile parts, or what AMD might do with Polaris to improve efficiency and performance before its actually released.

8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So, once more AMD will finally meet and exceed Nvidia's *last* generation GPU performance, just as Nvidia releases their *next* generation.

Wait 3 months after AMD releases, and buy Nvidia ;)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Ethrem likes this.
  9. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I wouldn't be so sure. AMD just wanted to demonstrate efficiency. They don't want to show their hand just yet.

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    As I recall, historically, AMD makes a big splash...

then Nvidia comes in and announces their new releases...

Nvidia releases just enough product at a low price to put the kibosh on AMD sales...

then Nvidia waits a little while longer before releasing enough product to fulfill demand, so prices rise to dizzying heights...

AMD desperately drops prices... but noone buys cause they are caught up in the Nvidia hype...

AMD bundles a bunch of games with their cards, people start buying...

Nvidia then introduces better bundles, higher prices, and then the vendors start spinning out custom boards.

AMD sits down and wonders how it all happened just the same way, all over again.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    jaybee83, TomJGX and Ethrem like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.