Mobile Polaris Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by moviemarketing, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What makes you so sure HBM is tricky for MXM ?
    GDDR5 might be reserved for lower/mid range gpu's whereas HBM 2 could be reserved for higher end.
    I don't see how MXM would be incompatible with HBM 2 specifically. The main thing that would likely be affected is the cooling design that would accommodate HBM 2 gpu's.

And besides, it might be possible that the MXM interface could undergo changes as well.

Besides, AMD was the one that introduced HBM cards in the desktop space first... its possible it might do the same again for HBM 2 in mobile (alas, nothing has been stated on this end, and you could quite likely be accurate that mobile parts might not use HBM at all).

Performance-wise, laptops wouldn't necessarily need HBM, but given the size constraints in laptops, HBM would reduce space requirements a lot and this could be an incentive for OEM's to modify cooling.

TomJGX likes this.
  2. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I believe @Meaker has said on multiple occasions that if you rotate the HBM memory a bit it could fit on MXM without issue, so I won't count it out just yet. However I doubt anything but their highest end model would really use it, and we still have no use for the extra memory bandwidth in games.

3. Link4

Link4 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    We may see near Fury level performance (if not more considering the architectural improvements in Polaris ment to remove the bottlenecks in Fiji) with mobile chips this year at which point bandwidth will become an issue. As long as AMD having 3 different GPUs this year is true the middle one will most likely be the top mobile offering (exactly what Pitcairn was when GCN launched) which means they don't have to do anything crazy and should just put 2 4-Hi HBM2 stacks with 512GB/s bandwidth and 8GB total memory. Let's say ~ 250mm^2 GPU + 2 HBM2 (should have surface area <= HBM1) stacks on an interposer which would be much smaller than Fiji due to GPU size and HBM modules only on one side, which also means a less complex interposer (due to less stacks) and less pins so maybe this would actually work with an MXM module, and the module itself could be smaller because the only other things necessary are voltage regulation and other power delivery components. Not sure what will happen with mobile Pascal considering that nVidia is only supposed to use HBM on their highest end model (GP100? or that arrives next year?) and the issues with the Drive PX2 module and it only having 8 TFlops of SP compute performance for 250W TDP (that's just R9 Nano level) so 4 Tflops per GPU in the best case (if they didn't count the Tegras), all this doesn't speak confidence, looks like the efficiency reduction from putting all those things necessary for compute back that they removed from Maxwell is hurting them.

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I just hate all this speculation at this point. I just want to see PRODUCT from either Nvidia or AMD.

5. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Dude, you've got a 980ti, just chillax...

6. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Because MXM defines pretty much everything, cooling design as well (the contact between the GPU module and the heat-sink, the transfer and radiating of the heat is up to the manufacturer).

It wont. If you get in hands an MXM module and physically measure it you'll see that you'll be able to put just a couple of mm larger chip than if put straight, touching each screw hole. This was the case with my Quadro 5000m (GTX 480m), which I used for the measurements, and as far as I know, this is the largest square chip put on MXM module to date... and the Fury chip is larger than that. This is about the current generation. Now, as @Link4 said, if we take into account the new process and hope that they'll use HBM2 for top-tier chips (490) and (this is where the real hoping is) use HBM1 for the runner-up (480), we might get HBM MXM module after all. Of course if 480 ends-up to be rebranded Fury, there go our (or at least my) hopes.

i_pk_pjers_i likes this.
  7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If Apple doesn't completely abandon discrete GPUs, I'd be willing to bet we will see some version of these in subsequent generations of the MacBook Pro, and probably the iMac as well.

8. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    Read something about Apple switching to AMD cards soon, don't recall whether it was a rumor or AMD release.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    They already have. The current top-line 15-inch MacBook Pro Retina, which was launched last summer, has an R9 M370X.

10. Link4

Link4 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sure everyone wants to see a product, but since there are still 2 quarters before anything launches speculation is where all the fun is.

hmscott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.