Mobile Polaris Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by moviemarketing, Jan 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darnok44

darnok44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That is not a consumer product.

You can always buy MXM cards for embedded devices. PC gaming is a different story.

3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Mini STX is still new though. Hopefully it takes off and demand is huge so there's interest in making MXM boards in bulk and more available in consumer channels... and more price competition of course... doubt it will be relevant to Polaris though.

4. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    It's a Polaris GPU on one of the pictures.

Where?

5. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    eurocom.com has a poll: What GPU would you like to get in your next laptop?

One choice would be a mobile Polaris: AMD Radeon RX 480.

Nice to see it considered! (esp. as Eurocom is a Canadian company, but they are restricted by what Clevo and MSI offer.)

(No prices given, so some responders might be be dreaming rather than planning.)

(No time frame given, so it is not clear whether they are planning for next spring, summer, or autumn [Canadian seasons].)

(Among poll choices, no Radeon Pro WX 7100, but no Quadro PxxxxM either.)

(I wonder if their possible laptop with RX480 could meet the BIOS IOMMUv2 & CRAT requirements to develop on top of AMD's ROCm compute stack.)

smoking2k, triturbo and Hurik like this.
  6. Hurik

Hurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Holy Cow! Who in the right mind would vote for iGPU only?

DukeCLR, smoking2k and hmscott like this.
  7. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe someone who is hoping to use a Thunderbolt3 external GPU enclosure exclusively for their upgradable GPU needs?

8. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Here's something that could be Polaris related:
    http://www.universityherald.com/art...deon-rx-570-mobile-parts-samsung-notebook.htm

RX 570 mobile part.
    Doesn't say if it's Polaris or not, but there's something in the article indicating a rebadge of the 400 series (whatever that means).
    Now, which 400 series?
    Do they mean Polaris as released on desktops or just 470 released for laptop in Alienware, or possibly the 400 series as Apple MB's will have?

This is too ridiculous to be honest.
    There are practically 0 AMD Polaris options available, and Intel's 1050ti or even 1060 laptops are just too expensive.
    Since when is a budget gaming laptop £1100?

Because that's mostly what I'm seeing on offer from laptops coming with 1050 ti.
    And they come with 8GB RAM.
    I upgraded to 8GB YEARS ago.
    Why is 16GB not the norm, or even 32GB?

Is this 2011?
    Because I bought 8GB for my ancient laptop (in signature - which I'm still using btw) on Dec 30th 2011.

I paid £600 for my laptop in 2008.That's dual core laptop with 3GB RAM and 9600m GT for £600 at the time.
    It was mid range yes, but it would seem that 'mid-range' these days is DOUBLE the price.
    Where the heck do retailers justify this kind of hike in price?
    How is it impossible to get a 4 core, 8 thread CPU with 16GB, decent sized SSD, and 1050ti for at least £800?

Starting to think getting a laptop with a dedicated GPU is a bad idea these days...
    People keep saying 'SSD's will come down in price'... after how long? It took a freaking decade to lower the price of a base 128GB to get it to affordable levels, and they've been producing them in massive abundance.
    More high capacity and high performing SSD's and electronics that are brand new and function perfectly end up in the landfills and pollute the environment just so the OEM's can sell these things for a higher price.

Am I the only one who finds this ridiculous?

Well, I'm not paying for it.
    I'm gonna stick to my current laptop for as long as it will run and until I can find something affordable to buy.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  9. Hurik

Hurik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, there is only one option remaining my friend - switch to desktop side. There is so much more flexibility and variety when building a PC that you can build a decent rig in almost any price range. I'm becoming more and more disappointed in laptops after utter fiasco experience with my "dead mobo in a month" AW R4 2016. In particular, with Zen coming soon we might finally see some competition in CPU side of things and get even more affordable options for decent PCs, since mobile Zens, though highly anticipated, are not likely to come for some time.

smoking2k likes this.
  10. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Don't condemn us all to that fate just coz you got a POS dellienware. Just as they're going through an extended rough patch with QC and are copping blowback from enthusiasts for locking down their platform more and more, AMD have been going through a huge patch where they haven't had a competitive product against Maxwell or Pascal in the mobile space.

I would be trying a rx480 then in xfire just because I'm bored with nvidia's monopolistic behaviour if I knew there was even a potential workaround for the Clevo EC auto shutdown thing.

11. smoking2k

smoking2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea, Ryzen probable won't come to laptop's till after raven ridge Q3 2017. I agree with desktops having more options for enthusiasts but its ALOT easier to pack up and take even a desktop replacement laptop with you if your not around home much. I have a nice desktop but my laptop see's 5x the use just because I use it at work and when I go on vacation.

Aroc and bennyg like this.
  12. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't travel a lot, but when I do, its a lot easier for me to use my laptop on the go, or heck, even around the house.

I don't like to be chained to a desk as far as computers go... I like using my laptop on the bed. I just got really used to that.

Now, it would be a lot more preferable to find an affordable laptop solution.

I can manage with an Intel CPU, but I'd definitely prefer an AMD gpu simply because of better driver support and DX12 capabilites.
    Ryzen CPU on top of that would be excellent, but as you say, it is unrealistic to expect it on mobile before the year is out (which is really a shame).

13. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I get weird questions about a laptop worth double what a desktop would cost for same power. Then I just point out I can lug it outside. Or downstairs in front of the TV. Or on the dining room table for space. And >5kg plus two powerbricks that weigh more than most laptops I can still just about carry it all in one go :)

Intel have also said that mobile Cannonlake will be out by year end, claiming another 15% on top of kaby lake... but then they claimed KL was 15% over skylake so whatever to that. IMO theyre just trying to pee on AMD's parade coming up.

Does anyone have any input on whether RX480 is at all possible on Clevo. As I understand the two problems are:

- thermal sensor config (is this hardware and/or firmware issue?) Theoretically bypassable by mod or not?

- EDID issue (internal panels only) - again, potentially moddable into vBIOS if I understand? Would a vBIOS dump and edit be enough or is some reverse engineering or decrypting required first?

Aroc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.