Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. NaMcO

NaMcO Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Indeed. It's noticeable, not THAT much, but it's there and it helps. Besides, i'm a sucker for mods since i was a kid, so this was just asking for it hahahahahahah :p

EDIT: Here's a few pictures of the modification. Those things on top of the SSD are just spacers because the HDD it replaced was a little bit higher in size.

https://imgur.com/a/kqmKw

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Robbo99999 and steberg like this.
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's a GT72VR right?

Since the CPU is already TDP capped at 45W, you shouldn't have to worry about extra CPU power throttling. You could undervolt it, but if you wind up getting a "25W" cpu power limit if your GPU is at 170W at combined load (check in Throttlestop), try changing the E3 register in RWEverything (EC) to 00 or FF or some other value and see if that prevents it (it may, it may not).

Also please check for excessive battery drain as well. If that happens, try changing the E3 register value to something else (again).

3. NaMcO

Reputations:
    Yes it's a GT72VR. The 7700 is already undervolted (mine can take -130mV), so that helps with heat and keeping power under control. What i REALLY wanted was some form of overclock on the CPU to get it to ~3.8GHz or something, but i already gave up on that. It's just impossible with FSB.

And thank you again for the precious info!

4. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Check the battery drain rate with BatteryInfoView if you are at 170W (Set MSI Afterburner to 112%) when you're at full load.

5. NaMcO

Reputations:
    I'll do that later on. I use it at the new default (151W) so i should be okay. I'll try 170 nevertheless, but i'm not hoping for any boosts.

6. Timbabs123

Timbabs123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can this mod work on a BGA GTX 1070 with good cooling?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

7. tanzmeister

tanzmeister Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I m trying to extract the Clevo 1050ti vbios from the board, but I can't find the eeprom. do you have any clues?

8. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Look for a small square chip with 8 'legs' on it, with a small indention on one corner (that is "pin 1"), then the pin counts go counter clockwise 1-8. It should have a dot painted on it but sometimes they won't paint it but they should. it will ALWAYS have an indentation next to "pin 1"). They usually say winbond or macronix (MXLC ?) on the chip.

Coolane likes this.
  9. Coolane

Coolane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Right! It has 8 pins and looks like a rectangle shape, usually it has a visible dot painted on it. Looking at it closely you should be able to see a tiny indented dot with no color which indicating it as Pin-1.
    The usual brands are MXIC and Winbond. If you can't locate it on the bottom side, there's a possibility that it's located on the other side where underneath the keyboard.

10. Coolane

Coolane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Falkentyne likes this.