Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Modding the temperature limits hasn't worked since @Coolane's tool was released because there's something else that's tied to the temp or something within the Pascal architecture that ties temp to core clocks. The only thing that works is increasing the power limits. I've had mine bumped up to 151-170 adjustable for a good few months now and I haven't had any problems.

2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Changing the temp limit to 85C with coolane's tool worked in mine. Slave card (which runs hotter) would throttle to stay at 84C under heavy load. No power constraint.

I've since raised it to 92C and now it throttles to stay at 91C. But since 90C is the trip point for the fans to kick to max rpms, temp then goes down to settle in the 70s, at full speed as soon as it's below 91C

The temp based steps of -11mhz are a separate thing.
    Edit: -13mhz steps

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    thegh0sts and Robbo99999 like this.
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As bennyg said, the "pascal" temp -13 mhz thing has nothing to do with the throttling temp. That's tied to the "pascal problem" and no one has figured out how to avoid that besides keeping the cards cool.

It seems to affect boost 2 clocks more than boost 1 clocks, although it can sometimes cause boost 1 clocks to go down and other times will not. You can see this easily if you flash the 8A Vbios and mod that; the maximum clocks allowed will be the boost 1 +200mhz clocks above base, and you can let the temperature run wild and those clocks will not decrease. However if you use the normal bios and lock a clock speed at a voltage point on the curve (Control L), IF that voltage point is in the boost 2 clock range, you'll see the very first -13 mhz core clock drop at 42C.

thegh0sts likes this.
  4. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    In other words you're stuck with it.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

5. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Hold My Vodka, I going to kill my GPU

Reputations:
    Hi all i have managed to reprogram my vbios with the power unlock etc.

However i seem to have lost my Device ID, used to show 10DE.1C60.1462.11FF it now shows 10DE.1C60.0000.0000 No amount of flashing brings it back.

I made three dumps of the chip before hand though. No sure where i went wrong like either.

@Coolane @thegh0sts @Falkentyne , Also if i flash another vbios via Nvflash with a different version it sticks to the one flashed via the programmer

Edit: Ok flashed stock vbios via programmer the Device ID is correct, Mod and save the stock vbios and flash with programmer it showed the 0000.0000 however it works just fine.

Edit 2: Working lovely now getting decent framerates topping at 100w burst at times with temps staying max load 78c.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  6. hacktrix2006

Reputations:
    Think I know why the device Id is changing had a look at both pre modded and modded and there seems to be a big chunk missing between them. No sure why though @Coolane any ideas bud.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's only the subsystem part of the device ID string. I have seen many Vbios with subsys 00000000 over the years but as soon as you put it into a laptop the subsys id (as read by gpuz) changes to that of the chassis. All it affects is

-with nvflash, whether you need to use a mismatch override flag <= note this is NOT why nvflashing a modded Pascal vbios fails
    -whether the driver installer sees the exact string in the INF and detects "compatible hardware" and installs painlessly, or whether you need a modded INF as a workaround

The first 8 chars (10DE-xxxx) are the important ones that identify the GPU.

Tl;dr it doesnt matter

8. hacktrix2006

Reputations:
    thanks for reply @bennyg . GPU is working fine though but it would seem that the Sub ID is in the 3kb of data thats missing when the vbios is modded which if it can be found would mean we might be able to make vbios mods PnP with nvidia drivers if we can change them.

Edit: nvflash -b shows this

9. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    AFAIK the mod doesnt get rid of that much data.
    Can you upload the Modded vBIOS and the stock backups that you made somewhere and link that to me?

10. hacktrix2006

Reputations: