Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Duly noted. So long as I plug it into the right pins and select the right voltage it should be ok...hopefully.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Vistar Shook and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, exactly.
    For the benefit of anyone else that does not know, this photo that @Coolane posted shows it. Notice the connection is in the area farest away from where the locking arm is placed. That is the 1.8V connection area. In all other circumstances (on all SPI flash programmers) the area where you insert the connection for BIOS/vBIOS flashing (SOIC8 chips) is in the slots closest to the locking arm.

[​IMG]

3. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    Yup, even the app demonstrates that but you gotta find it LOL.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm sure that you're ready to go because you have been reading up and preparing yourself. I just don't want to see anyone else make a huge mistake that costs them a lot of money or hassle due to lack of knowledge (or not reading instructions). This is really a safe way to flash things as long as it is done correctly. I think it's safer that software flashing in DOS or Windows when done correctly.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. thegh0sts

Reputations:
    Fair enough. Looking forward to giving it a try.

I feel so 1337 man!

EDIT: The SOIC8 clip adapter came :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Ashtrix, dzpliu and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. leeloyd

leeloyd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My programmer came this week (a TL866CS converted to TL866A) with a 1.8V adapter and the SOIC8 test clip.
    Before using it on my Alienware's 15R3 mobo, i tried to read an old Gigabyte's Mobo Bios Chip and got the OverCurrent Protection actions 'Message.

I read this doesn't happen with all mobos, and if it does, you have to cut VCC on the chip or hard mod the programmer to bypass this warning. I tried the linux minipro's cli too without success :(.

I don't know wich ship betwen UT2 and UG13 on the 15R3/17R4 mobo is the VBios, can i try to read those chips safely ? I read keeping AC pluged may help to read, but doesn't allow to write.

Any advices ?

7. Coolane

Coolane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you connect the clip with the chip correctly with the Pin 1 matched the Pin 1 on the chip? The vBIOS chip looks like this, model name may vary.
    I got something like "Current Protection" before because I clamped the chip in the opposite side.
    I feel like taking out the batteries and disconnecting the power supply is safer to do the inline flashing.

ChipsetDot@1070.JPG

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Which chip is it?
    Either ways, try disconnecting pin 4 on the clip, or put a thin strip of tape or something to prevent it from making contact with PIN4 of the SOP8 chip.

In some cases you will only be able to read the chip using this method, but not write.

The easiest method is to get a SkyProII , that can easily read and write inline. And its cheaper than the TL866CS/A.

@Mr. Fox This is the third time other than my own experience, that a recent TL866 is behaving this way.
    They have definitely changed something in the recent/last years batches.
    End of the day i just got rid of the OvP protection with a hardware mod to the programmer.

Vistar Shook, Coolane and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Coolane

Coolane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very nice! It has a built-in screen and supports low voltage 1.8V, also cheaper than the SP16B. :p
    http://www.coright.com/product/showproduct.php?lang=en&id=55

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thank you!
    @Coolane @bloodhawk do any of you have a direct link for buying the SkyproII? I can't find it on Amazon D:

Do I really have to buy it from China or something? :( If there are any other options (even aliexpress or banggood) let me know. I wish I could use my amazon prime shipping :(

And I can't read chinese and have no idea what to do on their taobao link....