Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I can't smell Volta any time soon. This is what happens when you have no competition. AMD dropped the pooch HARD on Vega RX, so now Nvidia can just farm the milk cows hard with Max Q and just drag their feet and set their prices anywhere they want.

Look what happened with Intel. AMD actually dropped a tactical nuke on the Intel factories with Ryzen, and Intel was busy pooping on the toilets during the nuclear explosion, and had to scramble hard to release something to counter, so we got Skylake-X and X299 rushed hard. And a $499 8 core CPU.

But with no counter from AMD on the videocard front, Nvidia can make customers sheep bend over all they want, because we have no choice....

temp00876 likes this.
  2. Khenglish

Khenglish Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah thanks for reminding me. Yes the high side FET will have +5V on top of the main 19V supply. I only checked that the main 19V was not shorted and assumed the core voltage supply was fine. A blown gate driver or VRM could cause a 5V short.

3. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Man, you're like the Dr. Gregory House of GPU medicine.

4. leeloyd

leeloyd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not only GPU. CPU wise, Khenglish's writings were also helpfull. Famous hardware enthusiasts are passing by this thread :)

5. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay so after reading all this, i have gotten links of all that i need, and i plan to do this mod to an alienware 17 r4 with the gtx 1070 and an i7 7700HQ..So my first question is, will this work with this laptop, and how do i use nvflash to find the chip id of the 1070 to know if it will work with that skypro flasher.

6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It will autodetect the chip ID, so you don't need to use NVflash. Besides, autodetection working means that you hooked up the clip correctly to pin 1 and got a full register, and getting an error means you didn't get a connection on the chip pin legs or it's misaligned. So you wouldn't want to manually set the chip ID anyway.

Vistar Shook, Papusan and bennyg like this.
  7. Coolane

Coolane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't seen case in aw 17 r4 yet, but @EepoSaurus got his 1070 working with the aw 17 r1. I am assuming it will also work on your laptop with careful operations.
    You can issue command line "nvflash -b" through Windows's Command Prompt to find out the chip-set model of your 1070.
    chipID.jpg

bennyg, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  8. Sup3rKillaX

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if the TL866CS can be used or do i need the TL866CS? I found a CS for 15$ cheaper so i was going to get that one.but it seems they are somewhat different...just confirming before i grab one of the 2

9. Coolane

Coolane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. Sup3rKillaX

Reputations:
    So i will be performing this mod tomorrow, and out of question, does the preset value let the 1070 range from 150w to 170 if it needs it? or is it just 150w