Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ok I have a serious question for you guys. :)

Does anyone here know if the laptops identify which video card is inserted (via EC firmware) via the "device ID" like 1462-10B1 or 1462-17FF, or via one of these codes strings I found sitting in a few Vbioses:

750029150010 (GTX 1080).
    725029140010 (GTX 1070)
    750029140030 (GTX 1060)

Would replacing one of the numbers with another cause the laptops to identify the card (not necessarily windows, just the EC firmware->System Bios) differently?

@Prema
    Thank you!
    *Edit*
    didn't work. Just not experienced enough :( going to have to wait for Svet I guess...hey I tried my best...but i'm a newbie :(

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The subsystem part of the device ID is determined by the chassis, not the card

NB I use the term 'subsystem ID' to avoid the confusion nvflash causes by calling it "a device ID mismatch" because the full hardware ID string as shown in device mangler is usually
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11A0&SUBSYS_71021558&REV_A1
    where you have the vendor (10DE=Nvidia), device (11A0=680M), and subsystem IDs (1558=Clevo 7102=P170EM)

You can override a subsystem ID mismatch in nvflash with -6 (despite nvflash calling it a 'device ID mismatch'!!)
    You can't override a device ID mismatch (and say flash a 10DE-1BE1 vBIOS to a 10DE-1BA1 card)

TL;DR if you find a stock 1080 GT73VR vBIOS and use nvflash --version to grab the details of it, it should have exactly the same Subsystem ID as your stock 1070 GT73VR vBIOS does. If not - that is definitely something to investigate...

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. leeloyd

leeloyd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    At last 21K FF graphic Score, and new personnal record :

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21147719

GPU +212MHz + 512Mhz Max Power 165W Max temp 77°C.
    CPU @3.8GHz -100mV Max Temp 86°C max power 49W

Room temp 22°C helped a lot.

Happy, before this VBios mod I struglled just behind 20K. Thanks to @Coolane and the first Pascal BGA VBios modder: Dreamonic from Voltground.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Good GPU score, same as my desktop GTX 1070! Temps good too.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    @Coolane @Mr. Fox @Phoenix @Papusan I think I hacked the EC (indirectly)!

Still need to test.
    I was able to draw 150W from GPU and 65W from CPU without PL2 throttling.
    Testing again to confirm...

Ok it works. Not ideal but it works...CPU is drawing 0.03v more. Cinebench score is still 1,000-1003 at 4.5 ghz (Ring x42). Still drawing power from battery; don't want to risk raising the slope anymore as I don't want to cause damage. This will have to do until I get a proper EC mod from Svet.

(You guys know what I did, right?)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  6. Coolane

Coolane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice score! Glad to see you are enjoying the extra power!
    Maybe you can catch up my GPU score one day (3~5C room temp): http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11661315

Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. Coolane

Reputations:
    I am happy that you finally got it working! :)
    What magic did you do to remove the CPU throttling?

Vistar Shook and Falkentyne like this.
  8. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Changed the Imon offset.
    There was a post awhile back about someone making his CPU use double the TDP (147W on linpack), and then him making it use half the TDP. He was talking about editing the EC and changing MSRs to do it. So I started looking through the Bios and first tried something like changing PS Current Threshold1, from 80 (20 amps) to 400 (100 amps). Well that didn't work. The laptop shut down (powered off) and rebooted in 5 seconds after I started a 4 thread load at 4.5 ghz. So I looked at Imon and "slope" and saw it had a negative offset possible, then I read this thread again:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/tdp-and-power-limiting-haswell.766743/

He was tricking his CPU to report both double the TDP and half the TDP it was currently using, by modifying the EC MSR's.

From what little I could find, it looked like Imon dealt with TDP reporting, so I set a negative offset of 25 and enabled Imon Scaling support.
    This made the CPU report it was using 15-20 less watts at 4.5 ghz, but the VID was slightly higher. So then I ran firestrike extreme *stress test* (edit) with 150W TDP + 1886 mhz and with a 4 thread chess engine running at the same time (8 threads takes too many resources and the GPU gets starved) and finished the loops and there was no power limit exceeded messages.
    Not sure what the 'real' load was or if the PSU was exceeding 230W, but this was enough to make the EC think I was within the power limit.
    I guess the EC reads what the CPU reports, and the IMON pin on the VR determines what the CPU reports (the CPU cannot know how much power it's using by itself)

Ran it a 2nd time to verify.
    It still draws from the battery (ideally it would be nice if it didn't) but that will have to do until I can talk to Svet.

Vistar Shook, bennyg and Coolane like this.
  9. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can buy a kill-a-watt and measure the power consumption from the wall.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

bennyg and Robbo99999 like this.
  10. Coolane

Reputations:
    Interesting finding and thank you for sharing that!
    I never played with IMON offset/scaling before, didn't know it can affect the CPU power reporting. I think this can be a good way to increase CPU power draw for laptop that has restricted EC, maybe it has the similar effect like VCCIN (in ThrottleStop) that affect power reading (report less power draw).
    @bloodhawk , maybe you can try this to remove CPU throttling in your R4?