Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need to do your research and find out what mainboard that uses and how much it has in common with the ROG G800, because the G800 has a GTX 1080. The Strix is much slimmer and you need to read the Asus forums and find out what the power delivery specifications are. While the card might be able to handle a 150W TDP, you have to make sure the motherboard power delivery can deliver that much power without burning something out. Clevos, for example, have an auxilary power connector for 1080's; I'm not sure about 1070's, but those can handle 150W through the MXM port. MSI uses the same motherboard for the Titan series for 1070 and 1080 exactly, but their 1080's are limited to 150W (while clevos I think are 190W). So make sure your motherboard can supply 150W through the MXM slot. It's your choice, feel free to tell us how it goes.

Coolane likes this.
  2. Coolane

Coolane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Another thing is the long wait. As I recall, it shipped from China.

3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If the same slot in the same motherboard can power a 150W 1080 with no connector, I would feel completely safe powering a 150W 1070.

The general rule of thumb is the slot can peak to 200W, whether it is safe sustaining that (or more) comes down to how the mobo is made.

It would be nice if we could know the specs on power components to know what they can handle and how much they leak at certain power levels, or temp sensors around the cards etc. to be able to get some understanding of what level of stress a card is under at the clocks/volts/power limits

4. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    We know, thanks to @Khenglish, that both MXM slots in the P870DM-G can "support" (and I am using that word loosely since I don't plan on going higher than the desktop 1070 TDP) up to 266W per slot.

That means the P870DM-G has a decent power circuitry to handle at 1070N with desktop TDP settings without issue. I might have to buy more heatpipes to attach to the heatsink.

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @bennyg
    Please read @Prema 's posts and also a few others farther back.
    It's not the slot. Coolane has managed to pull 200W from the slot.
    It's the power delivery system itself. On the motherboard. It has something to do with the chokes and the number of phases on the MXM card An entire range of Gecube MXM cards blew out because the cards phases couldn't handle the power draw. And some other posts discussed some motherboards that couldn't handle the power load while the cards themselves could, so parts on the mainboards blew (not related to 1070's but 980's). So you have to make sure that the Asus mainboard can handle the load. If the Strix uses the exact same motherboard as the G800, but with cut down features, then it probably can. But you have to make sure you do your research. Of course you can just go all in, but you have to accept the results.

hmscott likes this.
  6. leeloyd

leeloyd Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Heading for 21K graphic score :
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21066179

15R3's maximum fan does a very good job indeed. Max GPU temp 79°C.
    CPU locked @3.6GHz max 80°C.

Coolane likes this.
  7. thegh0sts

Reputations:
  8. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  9. thegh0sts

Reputations:
  10. Coolane

Coolane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys, try to keep your TDP under 200W and DO NOT use Furmark!
    I think my motherboard just failed after constantly delivering 230W for 30 mins only through the MXM board. It aged first then suddenly died, so you might not see it's coming.

Papusan likes this.