Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Rinkutux

Rinkutux Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I still can't find a proper way to get a psu capable of delivering more than 230w (the laptop power throttle since the shunt mod during gaming sessions). I found some 330w but the connectors are either 4pins Clevo or 7.4*5.0mm Dell ones. I need a 5.5*2.5mm adapter but the only thing I found is this : http://www.bixnet.com/cntx75.html but it's stated that it won't deliver more than 120w using this adapter. Does someone faced this problem before ? I need some help to get through this.

2. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    I'm using one myself. Get adapters that are a solid jack, not ones with cables.

What laptop are you using btw? Although I'm using a dell 330w brick I can't go above 230w total laptop power draw still because Msi limits the power draw to 230w in the EC regardless of what power brick you use.

3. Rinkutux

Reputations:
    I'm using the Clevo PB71DF2-G. I'll try to get a jack adapter. With the shunt mod my GPU is at ~140w and my CPU is around 60-70w during games if I don't limit it. And when I play games that are GPU and CPU intensive, the CPU just throttles down to ~10w for like 5 seconds so the GPU isn't capable of running well with a 10w CPU. The throttle doesn't happen when I limit my CPU to 40w, but I'd like to avoid doing that since I have a powerful CPU.

I have no idea if Clevo systems have a power draw limits in the EC. I hope not.

4. Rinkutux

Reputations:
    Alright I finally got a 330w PSU but it's just barely better than my 230w. I can get a few more mhz on the GPU before the throttle happens again. Probably limited to 240w or something in the EC. Is there anyway to remove that limit ?

5. OneSickOmen17t

OneSickOmen17t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Man I wish I could get mine to raise the TDP like the 2019 Omen 17t could. I tried NV Flash with the custom vbios from the thread in the HP section but it doesn't change anything. The TDP still maxes at 150w with small jumps to 160w or so.

6. hissy

hissy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A routine check
    Did someone find a way to uplift the Clevo RTX2070 powerlimit yet?

7. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Shunt mod is still the only way for anything RTX20xx.

8. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Without Prema bios max power draw is limited by EC at least with some Clevo models if not all. There have been threads about this in the past.

9. matyee

matyee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi All!
    I would like to upgrade to 2080RTX in my Clevo 870DM3. It has vapor chamber so cooling cannot be an issue to shunt mod tha card. Could you help where I can order them? I would need 4 resistors I guess and which ones could be proper? R003 or R004? I have a good engineer friend, he can replace them with professional machines easily. Thanks for your help in advance!

10. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Eurocom sells them on ebay for an arm and a leg.

Falkentyne likes this.