Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Rinkutux

Rinkutux Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Alright thanks for the clarification. I never dealt with reversed footprints before, I guess they are not so common. I ordered the r004 susumu ones. I'll probably just replace the stock shunts with them. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you all !

seanwee likes this.
  2. Rinkutux

Reputations:
    Okay so I had hard times trying to desolder the stock shunts, so I just removed the black plastic "hat" and soldered two 0.02 ohm resistors on top of each original shunts. I jumped from ~4700 in Unigine Superposition benchmark to ~5200. It's like a 11% performance bump. Not sure if it's the expected boost but I gladly take it :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Falkentyne likes this.
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    How did you remove the black plastic "hat"?
    I had no idea that was even removeable!

4. Rinkutux

Reputations:
    I had no idea neither, I just accidentally removed it while trying to slowly pull the shunt, leaving only the metal conductors on the board. So when I saw that I decided to solder the shunts on top on the original ones instead of replacing them.

5. Rinkutux

Reputations:
    Ok so now I feel like I have some power issue. When my GPU load is at 100% and my CPU around ~50% in game, the laptop starts to throttle for 2-3 seconds. I assume it's my 230W PSU not being able to provide enough power. What do you think guys ? I tried to look for 330W PSU but I can't find any compatible with my laptop model. I'm on a Clevo PB71DF2-G and I can only find 330W PSU with 4 pins power connector or Alienware ones that don't use the same connector than mine. I can't find any adapter neither. Is there a solution for that ?

6. gabozki

gabozki Newbie

Reputations:

Hey there. I have an MSI GS65 8RF with a 1070 max q that has an 80w TDP. I was able to successfully cross flash a 90w 1070 mobile vbios via nvflash but unfortunately the hdmi and dp didn't work afterwards. That's why I would like to try and do the TDP mod either through the programmer or through a shunt mod. If you don't mind, I would just like to ask as to how much additional TDP do you think can the VRMs safely handle? And as for the shunts, I've tried looking for an R005 resistor on my board but so far the only one I could find is underneath the board near the battery connector. On the flipside of the board, I see two resistors which are not labelled but are near the INA3221 near the cmos battery, could they be the shunt resistors? I've attached some pictures for your reference. Thank you.

n.b.
    I've already done some improvements on the laptop's thermals:
    - repasted the CPU and GPU with LM
    - replaced the pads with Gelid Extreme and some K5 PRO
    - vacuum coolers on the GPU and CPU exhaust vents
    I am also planning to put an additional heatpipe from the VRM section to the GPU fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    That looks to be a doubled three phase configuration. Should be able to handle some shunt modding. You can get R004 resistors to replace the unlabelled resistors to raise the power limit to 100w.

8. gabozki

gabozki Newbie

Reputations:
    Understood. Thanks, appreciate it.

9. hissy

hissy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Probably i should ask after all..
    Did anyone mess with Clevo MXM RTX cards, most specifically a RTX 2070? Any success, any advises?

10. haleskinn

haleskinn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    so only way to bybass this is to shunt? (ge75 2060)

and is there any vbioses for gl702(1070 115w) or i can use the tdp tweaker? (also got same error nothing changed, invalid firmware upload_2021-1-2_22-54-11.png