Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Rinkutux

Rinkutux Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, I'm thinking about doing the shunt mod for my laptop (Clevo PB71DF2-G), and right now I'm trying to locate the shunt resistors. I found some R005 resistors but I'm not sure if they are the ones I'm looking for. I'd be glad if someone can confirm it in the pics. There is 2 resistors near the cmos battery, and 1 at the top left of the board.

Thank you guys.

Attached Files:

2. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    Those 2 are likely the correct shunt resistors.

Could you take another picture of the gpu vrms, i need to be able to read the printed text on them.

3. Rinkutux

Reputations:
    Thanks for the confirmation about the shunt resistors. Here is some pics of the vrms.
    I already have those resistors : https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-passive-product/RLP73M2BR036JTD/4032597
    Do you think they will work ?
    Also I'm wondering about the soldering. The only other shunt mod I did was on resistors with contact on both sides. It doesn't seem to be the case for the shunt resistors for this laptop (there is no "metal" parts on sides on top of the resistors). Will it work the same or will I have to do another method ? Sorry if that sounds dumb.

Edit : Currently my GPU (2070 Super) never exceeds 70C, so I think I have some headroom for improvment

After some research I think I misunderstood what vrms were since all this time. I thought it was vrams. I joined new pictures, I hope it is what you're looking for.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    seanwee likes this.
  4. seanwee

Reputations:
    Yeah youre good to go. the vrms should be able to handle 150w before needing a heatpipe over them.

Why did you get 36mohm shunts btw? Soldering those in parallel would only bump up the tdp by a measly 15-16w to 130-131w

Rinkutux likes this.
  5. Rinkutux

Reputations:
    Thank you !
    I just already had them for another shunt mod I did before, I didn't get them for this laptop in particular. What shunts would you recommend for the best result? Also if I bump the tdp too much, isn't there a limit with turing that prevent the card to use maximum power ? I think I've read that somewhere.

So basically I only have to solder each shunt on top of the R005 ones as usual, right ? I'm just confused about the look of the R005 shunts, where should be the contact points ? I don't know resistors enough to not sound like an idiot.

6. seanwee

Reputations:
    Too much would be using R001 resistors or directly shorting the shunts.

I would recommend replacing the stock shunts with R004 shunts outright for a 25% tdp bump. R003 would get you to closer to desktop performance but you'll need to get heatpipes to transfer heat away from the Vrms.

Also you want to solder across the shunt resistors, wide side to wide side.

Rinkutux likes this.
  7. Rinkutux

Reputations:
    I'm not comfortable enough with this for replacing the stock shunts outright. For the last shunt I did I simply put the 36mohm resistor on top of the R005 one and solder on the sides from the base to the top to make contact. Is this enough ?

Also I'll probably look for 0.02 ohm shunts to use on top of the existing ones.

8. seanwee

Reputations:
    Its actually safer and easier to replace the stock ones outright. That way you ensure the stock ones are undamaged from the soldering. It'll look cleaner and have less chances of developing a cold joint.

9. Rinkutux

Reputations:
    Oh alright I might try it. Do you think I can replace the stock ones with my 0.036 ohm shunts ? If not do you have any link or a reference for the correct resistors to use ? There's so many different properties.

Thank you

10. seanwee

Reputations:
    No. That will reduce the tdp.

Also I just calculate the final resistance of the resistors to see how much more power it will allow you to draw.

Rinkutux likes this.