Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. realrift

realrift Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi t456 and all, just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU!

upload_2020-10-17_3-31-57.jpeg

With your help and instructions I managed to get the laptop display working again :)

I basically followed t456's instructions:
    Quote "
    1. Desolder or use clip (I prefer desoldering to rule out the write-protect or the board's circuit layout getting in the way).
    2. Read out current data twice (or thrice).
    3. Compare to your NVFLASH dump; they should match, except for the hardware dump being larger.
    4. Erase entire chip.
    5. Write back the backup.
    6. Resolder, if applicable."
    I am going to be verbose in case someone finds this and could use it one day.

I used the test clip and didn't desolder the chip as my soldering skills were not up to it (I practiced on an old video card). If it didn't work desoldering was next.
    I used a CH341a usb bios programmer with 1.8v adapter, SOIC8 test clip and AsProgrammer v1.4.1 software to read and write the Macronix (mxic 25u8033e m1I-12g) chip.
    First I read the chip and confirmed what the bios should look like written to chip, comparing it visually to the nvflash backup rom I had.
    Next I erased the chip and verified that it was erased.
    Then I flashed the nvflash backup rom (this was 1023kb, compared to programmer dump files which were 1024kb) to the chip.
    Finally verified the flash.

Reassembled the laptop (Gigabyte Aorus 15 W9), started up and screen came on :D

Once I recover some courage, I might try and mod the original bios to increase TDP limit which was the original goal :oops:.

Thanks again to t456 and all that read the posts, you guys are absolute legends! :vbthumbsup:

2. Aorus X5-V7

Aorus X5-V7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey friend, I'm using Clevo's PB70DF2 with 10875H. This is always limited at 55W.
    So I want to get rid of the power limit. Could you please help me?
    I installed RW Everything the way you told me. But I have never used this software. How do I access Register E3? RW Everything.PNG

3. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    IMON Slope, so the CPU thinks that its using less power.

4. Aorus X5-V7

Aorus X5-V7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for answering. So, how do I activate IMON Slope?

5. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not activate, edit the values, its on the BIOS hidden menus.

6. realrift

Reputations:
    Hi All,

After managing to resurrect my Aorus 15 W9 laptop using your help with USB flasher and original bios, I am finding that I could not flash a modded bios onto it without causing black screen. I have tried using the black screen fix option (removes header) in TDP Tweaker but still black screen persists. I came to the conclusion at this laptop doesn't allow modded bios. I can flash back the stock bios and works fine.

I am therefore trying to look at doing a shunt mod to the onboard 2060 GPU.

I was wondering if I could get some help identifying the shunt resistors for my card?

This is a picture of the front of the board
    [​IMG]

Here is a closeup of the area where there is an R005 resistor on the front (but only one?):
    [​IMG]

This is the back of the board with 2 ?resistors marked (sorry not as clear photo, taken with different phone):

[​IMG]

Thanks for any advice,
    Rift.

7. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    The two at the back are the shunt resistors alright

realrift likes this.
  8. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There isn't any known way of software modding RTX VBIOS, so its normal that all you get is black screen after you mod it..

realrift likes this.
  9. realrift

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply and confirmation of shunt resistors.

Using a photo editor, I have measured the resistors at around 4.32mm (L) x 1.91mm (W).

The cooling system on this laptop (Aorus 15 W9) seems to be decent and does have a heatpipe for the gpu vrms also.
    Calculating for an increase of around 25% to 112.5W (from 90W), I think some 0.02 ohm resistors would be good to swap in. Would you be able to suggest a resistor to swap into this position? Link would be awesome.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  10. seanwee

seanwee Father of laptop shunt modding

Reputations:
    R004 resistors will increase the power limit by 25% to 112.5w, R003 resistors will increase the power limit by 66.67% to 150w.

Personally I would go for R003 resistors and get the full desktop 2060 performance. The Vrms can handle it no problem.

realrift likes this.