Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, some might say to upgrade the SOIC8 clip because this one is not really good but it does the task good for me.

Tyranus07 likes this.
  3. davorsake

davorsake Newbie

Reputations:
    The CH341A can get the job done, but it runs default on 5V and that can and will fry your bios chip. Anyone who did it without modding it got lucky or got their chip fried.

4. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    well it work for short period of time on 3.3v chip, in case of pascal card there is the 1.8v adapter

5. davorsake

davorsake Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't think the 1.8v adapter can step down the 5v voltage, I think it's meant for 3.3v only to work properly.

6. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Well, you are wrong, it step down the 5v voltage to 1.8v and works like a charm on any Pascal and more recent graphics card vbios chip :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  7. MKazmer

MKazmer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried this with a P4200 max-q? I installed an HP version P4200 max-q in a Clevo P750DM-G and posted the baseline benchmark scores. I would now like to try and maximize it if possible, just to see what it can do.

8. deathwingbg

deathwingbg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I killed my GTX1070 ... flashed a 150/175W bios and decided to run a superposition benchmark for a few seconds (as I tried several bios-es and was tired of putting everything together) to test for stability without the fans attached... Well the board itself died in smoke :( Stupid me...

9. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    If it's only the mosfet package that goes in smoke without doing a hole in the PCB that's an easy fix.

10. deathwingbg

deathwingbg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think there was some coloring on the underside of the GPU where the flashlight hits (so probably a hole in the PCB).
    BTW I was observing the temperature of the GPU core and it was 84-85C when it ended up in smoke. I definitely could smell it after I heard a noise and the laptop shut down. I had the CPU+GPU radiators on + a cooling pad blowing on the open underside of the laptop.
    Any suggestions what cheap MXM GPU can be run in Tornado F5 (MSI 16L1) I suppose modded bios will be needed to run some GPUs?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020