Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You only need to mod your VBIOS once, set it for 150-160W, enable adjustable power limit, then you play around with the extra power using the Afterburner curve editor to find a good voltage/clock curve and its done, want more power, use one curve, want less, use another, no need to flash the VBIOS 3 times a day..

WIth 230W and a locked CPU you have 45W for the CPU long term, give around 30W for display, RGB lights, RAM, storage, etc, and you still have 155W available for the GPU, at 150W average you can surely find more performance.
    Even my 980m with Prema VBIOS touches 130W in some game sections, and I also have a 45W locked CPU and a 230W PSU and I dont experience any clock drops.

2. Tyranus07

Tyranus07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Your problem is trying to mod an unsupported laptop with a cancer EC.
    Only the GT73VR and GT75VR, GT75 Titan (pascal versions only) and Clevo laptops (and some alienwares) are supported and tested, because there are multiple ways to avoid the CPU power limit at 230W.

GT72VR, GT72, GT83VR, and other Pascal MSIbooks like Raider/stealth, etc, are not tested because of EC problems. If you used a supported laptop as instructed, all you would have to do is change one byte in RW Everything to avoid CPU throttle (and buy a 330W adapter on models that come with 1080 equipped versions using the same motherboard).

Since you're now trolling, I'm not going to help you further but I will say 1 more piece of advice:
    Try reducing Imon slope and Imon offset in VR Settings.

This is what my 1070 can draw without throttling anything, on a supported laptop.
    Yes 220W directly through the MXM slot. I've actually managed to reach 345W from the wall with OCCT PSU test, and Heaven+Prime95 by setting the EC 330W system limit, which I believe can theoretically go up to 460W, due to SLI config being possible, of 230W * 2 (but to avoid massive battery drain via NOS, requires removing the battery, and tricking the laptop into thinking the battery is still connected, with a few EC RAM mods), but heaven+prime95 AVX disabled would drop CPU stability due to that load and i was lucky not to BSOD.

230wrun.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Krzyslaw, kothletino, senso and 2 others like this.
  4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is one hell of an impressive score for a 1070!

Falkentyne and hans12321 like this.
  5. kothletino

kothletino Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good Lord...

6. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    BTW did you try to hit 5GHz on cpu?
    I was recently tried to find similar msi lap to buy for modding pourposes in my country but unfortunately didn't find one.

7. cuneyt1984

cuneyt1984 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for your comments. I will use it at factory settings up to 30-40 fps in games. I will consider replacing the notebook later.

Also, the main problem is that intel processors are weaker than nvidia graphics cards. Therefore, the use of gpu is often reduced.

8. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    5 ghz boots windows but the EC (or Bios) prevents any load higher than superPi from running.
    1.45v manual VID or higher is required and the hardwired amps limit (70-80A?) simply shuts the system off if the voltage is too high, and will BSOD if voltage (VID) is too low. Desktop 7700K's had enough problems reaching 5 ghz stable (8700k was much easier), and 7820HK's are worse quality silicon. I think the Intel spec sheets said that the amps limit for BGA kaby lake is 72A and for desktop S chips is 100A. I forgot.

Even 4.9 ghz is impossible to do any real work on. 1.38v manual VID will cause Cinebench R15 to shut off the laptop after 1 or 2 runs because the amps limit gets triggered.
    On desktops, this limit can be bypassed by "CPU Current Capacity" or "CPU Current Limit (Amps)". Only Prema Bios laptops allow the intel hardwired limits to be exceeded.
    4.8 ghz is the most that is possible to use (requires about 1.31v manual set VID).

The problem is that ICCMAX is not "CPU Current capacity". It's only a current limit with respect to "Serial VID" control, which causes throttlestop to throttle the CPU if exceeded.
    ICCMAX does absolutely nothing with regards to the hardwired VRM limit for the 7820HK, which is either enforced by BIOS or EC. It's sort of the same thing regarding "Vcore"...you don't set Vcore on these laptops. You set VID. Offset voltage changes the VID value. "Override" voltage changes the VID. That's why AC/DC Loadline still affects voltage if you use override voltage, and also why there is no "Loadline Calibration" on laptops, LLC requires hardware direct VRM control, which you can't access via Serial VID control. AC/DC Loadline is not loadline calibration. It affects the CPU Operating voltage point offset based on current (AC Loadline) and the CPU power measurements (DC Loadline), but not LLC.

It's worth noting that Gigabyte's Z490 boards also allow you to change the VID as well, either the 'direct' VID or via V/F points. Asus Z490 boards only allow V/F points.

Papusan, Krzyslaw and hans12321 like this.
  9. Aorus X5-V7

Aorus X5-V7 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Even though the CPU is running at 48x, the temperature is very low at 78 degrees. How did you manage heat?

10. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks to this beefy heatsink and liquid metal I presume
    [​IMG]