Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So you measured the original BIOS / EC limit was 306w vs 324w in the "980" update BIOS, so that is the 5%, which is nothing.

You also said 105w per 980 + 45w CPU, which is only 255w as a limit, not sure where that fits in?

Did you get rid of / refunded for that GT80S 980 SLI ok?

@Falkentyne

I think that whole mess is a good example why no one should expect to power unlock MSI laptops, get replacement or patched BIOS / vBIOS for MXM GPU upgrades, and to make the best of what is there, or get rid of it and move on to something that is a better fit for you.

Even if it's clearly a fault in the design, MSI's going to fix it in the next generation model.

MSI aren't going to issue a fix that goes outside their design parameters in the current model. And, it's a waste of time trying to get MSI to risk changes outside their comfort zone.

Laptop upgrades are best done through selling your old laptop and buying a new model with all the associated components upgraded.

It's just the way it is, it's not worth knocking yourself out trying to get around it. o_O

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  2. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Didn't measure it, was told directly by MSI. The 45/105/105 limits kick in when the battery hits 30%. My GT80S is still sitting in the box waiting to be traded in when either Volta comes out or someone wants to buy the Pascal version.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    @Prema already did do that for HIDevolution with the EVOC 16L-G-1080 BIOS. All traces of throttle feces have been painstakingly removed from the BIOS code, including cancer MSI had embedded in the OS/UI portion of the filthware and EC. Now that all the cancer code is removed, the only stupidity left is inadequate hardware. The motherboard is incapable of handling the power demands that an individual like myself would expect of it. That being said, for a 15-inch micro-beast, it still far exceeds anything most "hardcore gamers" (whatever that means) and average power users would expect of it, and it's still the most lethal little laptop on the market. @Prema is primarily a Clevo guy. His plate is full and there aren't enough hours in a day for tending to all of the needs of Clevo, so taking on extra projects for MSI customers probably isn't going to happen. The only reason he did the firmware mod for HIDevolution was because they are a great PremaMod Partner Shop. It was a LOT of work fixing everything MSI buggered up, so it was definitely a labor of love.

I think that is sound advice. I'd never buy a BGA version in the first place, but they clearly are not building machines for people like myself. Clevo is the best and only good option short of going back to building your own desktop monster PC.

This kind of stupidity is unacceptable and a great reason to never buy one. An MSI notebook should run exactly the same regardless of what amount of charge is in the battery, or with the battery completely removed. I've been running my P870 with no battery for two weeks with no discernible change in performance. This should apply to any and all notebooks, including mainstream consumer garbage. Engineering a notebook in such a way that is has any reliance on the main system battery for full performance functionality is an unforgivable level of retardedness. Silly engineering shenanigans like this is what gives notebooks a bad reputation among performance PC enthusiasts.

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think forcing 7RF detection with GTX 1070 installed for GT73VR to force 330W power to be used is comparatively easy, compared to allow MORE than 330W for 1080 vbios mod users (although I don't know if 7RE to 7RF force detection is done via a Bios mod or EC firmware). I checked the two firmwares byte for byte on 7RE and 7RF and they are byte for byte identical. So it has to be the video card type being detected. If this can be forced to 7RF mode from Svet Mod, and Bios or EC uses 330W for 7RE users, then I'll reflash the vBios with boost 3 clocks enabled (86.04.56.00.3A) instead of 86.04.5B.00.8A, so I can get 170W power draw.

However people with GTX 1080's already are going to have a problem.
    How much do you want to bet the 7RF (with 1080) will "CPU power limit 2" throttle if maximum load exceeds 330W with modded 1080? Maybe Svet can fix 1070 detection to force 1080 mode (7RE to 7RF), but people with 1080's are going to run into problems if they exceed 330W....

hmscott likes this.
  5. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ha, have you tried modding the NVidia driver so that it reports as GTX 1080 in the Device Manager - it's not changing the hardware ID of the card, but just joining the existing hardware ID of your GTX 1070 with the false name of a GTX 1080? I'm relatively certain that little trick wouldn't work in terms of tricking the laptop firmware into thinking it had a GTX 1080, but I guess you never know! (I suppose the firmware detects the card on the hardware ID level rather than the name applied in the OS, but I don't know.)

hmscott likes this.
  6. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    No, this has nothing to do with the Nvidia driver. It's EC or Bios firmware. Check @Mr. Fox 's post above.
    I already contacted Svet. He knows and understands what I am asking about and will contact me about it later, he's busy now.
    The only two people who are skilled enough to change Bios level detection are Svet and @Prema

If I didn't have to disassemble the laptop and do all the work to reassemble, I would hex edit the vbios and put in the 1080 vbios ID into the file, see if I have to correct any checksum, and try to flash that and see if it boots, detects 7RF, or black screens. Not going to bother...even if THAT actually worked Bios level, the Nvidia drivers would cause serious problems or maybe damage...i'll just wait for Svet to investigate the Bios or EC. I just need the Bios to think I have a 1080 installed (again this is a pure educated guess. Maybe there is some extra special chip on the GT73VR that is programmed at the factory for 7RE or 7RF, maybe, but that is sort of illogical. Costs more money to do that compared to a simple device ID check...)

Vistar Shook and hmscott like this.
  7. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    When I run the heaven benchmark uncapped the perfcap reason is Pwr/Idle.

When I run any game, capped or uncapped, the perfcap reason is VRel.

hmscott likes this.
  8. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Idle (blank bar) means the GPU is in full use and under its power limit, which is good.
    Util means unutilized (idle).
    VREL means voltage rellability, when you are running at the edge of the automatic overclocking limit. You will get this when the clock speeds are past the boost 1 clocks.
    You will usually not reach the end of the boost 3 (automatic overclocking) clocks in heavy load benchmarks.

hmscott likes this.
  9. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    IOW: there's nothing I can do without modding the voltage...possibly.

it caps out at 1.063v.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    1.025 or below is ideal for perf/watt.