Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @Falkentyne

Nah, I can't help with this, I don't do custom firmware, or try to hack in MXM GPU's that didn't come with the laptop.

You need someone that works with MSI firmware like SVET, not Prema he doesn't get involved with those anymore (at all?), beyond the old Maxwell vbios - but not even sure about Prema doing that on MSI. Maybe using MSI cards on Clevo's :)

If I got this right, you have a GT73 with 1070 and want to put in a 1080?

I don't think that can be done cleanly... as in "works like it was made that way", you might be able to get it up but not performing fully, or not cooling completely - you probably need new heatpipes / heatplate / heat exchanger / fan(s). New firmware for BIOS -- not sure what other physical differences there are in the 1070 and 1080 models.

Let us know how it works out :)

Coolane likes this.
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    When someone with a GT80S 980 SLI wanted to unlock the power limit so he could use 2 x 330w PSU's, MSI wouldn't do it - they did a smaller 15% increase for him, but that didn't really help enough.

Svet said he couldn't do that one... maybe he can help with the GT73, but I wouldn't count on it.

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hmscott,
    I already sent svet a message.
    Thank you for replying though! :)

Pretty much all that has to be done is for the bios or EC to think a GTX 1080 is installed rather than a 1070, so the model becomes "7RF", since it's already capable of it.. I'll let you know what svet says.
    Thank you and everyone else for your help!

hmscott likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Half BGA. On top, crippled firmware or motherboard limitations. Icing on the cake... Maybe unable to fix it with mod firmware. Damn, I'm happy with Clevo. @Phoenix :rolleyes:

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Well, in MSI's defense they did issue exactly that configuration as a product for the SLI 1070/1080 GT73/GT83, requiring dual PSU's.

MSI didn't think the existing framework would support that much power through the GT80S 980 SLI... it was unfortunately a borderline mistake that MSI didn't jump into dual PSU with that model.

Papusan likes this.
  6. Q937

Q937 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It was actually 5% lol. It also wasn't fully locked down because once you hit the 15W battery limit it would start using more AC power, but the throttling once you hit 30% means you can only hold a sustained draw over 324W for around 4 hours. I also asked like a year and change ago, so it's possible Svet has a better understanding of the EC firmware at this point, although I don't think that's his usual fare. I'm sure Prema could do it if he put his mind to it, but he's busy enough as it is.

Vistar Shook, hmscott and Papusan like this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    As I have understood, Msi still crippling firmware or MB with power limitations. Single 1080 means 330w psu is max what can be used. Aka same AW18 max power cap from the wall. Newest AWbook's have probably also same power Limits.

hmscott and Falkentyne like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    I think Svet's limitation was that he didn't want to upset MSI by going against their wishes to not exceed the power limitations MSI set in the GT80S to limit potential damage. Svet might be able to do it, but his hands are tied if he wants to keep his good relationship with MSI. MSI hosts his BIOS / vbios mod thread for many years now. :)

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So 7RE (1070) model has to be tricked that a 1080 is in use instead of 1070 (1070 comes with 230W PSU, but i am using 330W PSU).
    So I don't need 230W limit. I can use full 330W, but I am using modded 1070 vbios...

I really hope someone can do this for me.
    I will donate....

@Prema @Papusan save me! save me from BGABOOK!

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    I try everyday, bruh:) As well also bro @Mr. Fox
    Knowledge is King!! And Stupidity can be cured:D Read the whole thread!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.