Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I mean it’s nearer 250W

Robbo99999 likes this.
  2. Gounette

Gounette Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There's many thread on M17X R4 drawing more than 150W ....
    I found one strange thing using hwinfo : I got gpu performance limit utilization : yes ( i have no on every other things such as voltage or power limit so that's not my problem here ) . As soon as the gpu hits 100% usage while gaming ==> fps drop as power consumption ... Any idea anyone ?
    Already tried to put off adapter warning in bios as i saw this on another thread but that was for the power limit and it seems that's not really my problem here ...

3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    To me that sounds like a very strange bug involving firmware/drivers, you're using a non-standard GPU for your laptop, so I'm thinking bugs can occur. You'd want to Google other users that have used GTX 1070 in M17xR4 to see what issues they have and how they overcame them, because I don't ever remember hearing about GTX 1070's in M17xR4...I think I remember hearing GTX 1060's in M17xR4 though, but I'm not sure, I've not really been following it.

4. Gounette

Reputations:
    digging further told me that it's a power limit problem , dunno why as vbios is unlocked , shouldn't throttle past 115W ...

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not the first time Dell cripple their products. It is more common than the opposite. Read the posts above as well http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...r1-bios-unlocked.802440/page-23#post-10979310

Robbo99999 likes this.
  6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You didn't mess with the "Extreme Power Limits" did you?

7. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Might want to talk to the member here who had been able to actually use 200w TDP in the m17x R4.

I still have no idea how he was able to do it.

8. Gounette

Reputations:
    Hi there , what do you mean ? I tried many bios setup , there's also a preset button i tried ( this one change extreme power limits yes )

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The preset button is fine. You're supposed to press that.
    But manually entering in an extreme power limit is a big no-no !! These are **NOT** WATT (TDP) limits! These are PCIE rail limits, , which are completely undocumented.
    I know first hand that changing one of them (not sure which one) affects the GPU throttle watts point while on *battery* power.
    You can enter the GTX 1080 value for extreme power limit 1 (19200) vs 16200 and also I assume the other two, when modding a 1070, but going past the base 1080 values is asking for trouble if you don't know what you're doing.

One GT73VR user destroyed his VRM's by entering in the deskop GTX 1080 Ti "Extreme" limits in these fields when he set a 260 watt limit on his MXM 1080. Not only did it take his card's VRM's out, it damaged the motherboard also (only iGPU would work even on a repaired card, which would give no signal).

Papusan likes this.
  10. Gounette

Reputations:
    Thanks , i finally found how to avoid this throttle . Anyone's looking to unlock his M17X R4 , you have to hibernate then resume OR shutdown ( not reboot ) and power on again . That way we can bypass the 100W limitation . Don't ask me why Dell did this ^^
    Hope this will help others =)
    Be safe !

joluke likes this.