Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Dialup David

Dialup David Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Whew, that's enough modifications and hacks to get an additional ~10-15% gain for my risk tolerance.
    Spent $35 to get half dozen matching part number EEPROM chips from some back alley Chinese site that has a 1.7 Star rating on Trust Pilot.
    As soon as I reprogram the EEPROM, all passes with flying colors. Verdict is indeed that I managed to kill the chip with 3.3v (after a while though) as I lacked the 1.8v Logic converter.
    But that was just the beginning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, as soon as I go remove the chip I manage to snip all the legs only to have the middle mirrored pads just fall off. This was the "Oh ****ake" moment.
    Getting back to my senses after figuring $600 went down the drain, I realized that I'm not an idiot. Followed the pads to their traces and tried the old "remove the silkscreen" method.
    As soon as I tried to remove the silkscreen from the traces they immediately pulled right off. This meant that I had to trace the circuit back to the next via or SMD part.
    Luckily, that managed to be a ~0603? SMD resistor. That would be easy to run a bodge wire from. Then there was the other pad, this one was a PITA as it was only ran to a via in a group of resistors.
    I managed to scrape away the silkscreen with an xacto knife and tin the via without making a bridge between the other components, or accidentally just pulling them off the PCB all together (takes nothing with a proper iron to push those babies right off).
    [​IMG]

Bodge wires ran, my mind flooded with anxiety and angst. I manged to get it all together and threw the heat sink back on. To my luck it FAILED to show video output. About to give up, I noticed that it looked like the bodge wire was rubbing on the ground side of the capacitor in the picture above. Carefully I rebent the wire to remove any short. Trying for the last time, I was lastly greeted with the Prema Mod logo. The machine is now back and running. I've never been more happy to have a stock GPU as this. What an experience.

RMSMajestic, hackness, c69k and 4 others like this.
  2. andy marchi

andy marchi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can anyone give me a little help with a MSI GT73 GTX1080?

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hard to help you if you don't tell us what you need.

kolias likes this.
  4. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, can someone provide/link me a GTX 1070 mobile/max-q vbios which allow overclocking (like core and memory frequency tuning) ? I know there is some vbios on techpowerup but I'm not able to know if they are "unlocked".
    Thanks

5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You don't need any special vBIOS to overclock using software tools like MSI Afterburner.

6. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Quadro vbios are locked, I think it's vbios related, but you confirm that every 1070 mobile can be overclocked ?

7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    GeForce vBIOS is not overclocking locked.

8. enelpc_com

enelpc_com Newbie

Reputations:
    HashiramaS and JRE84 like this.
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    @Coolane, are you interested in modifying this for the Quadro RTX GPUs?

VBIOS attached.

Attached Files:

10. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Hi, can you provide GPU-Z screenshot ? (main and "advanced > nvidia bios" section)
    I think I found TDP and temp value, the TDP limit seems to be 80w and the card should throttle temp at 60°c or 66°c
    I don't know why there is a redundancy in the vbios with the same value.

Do you know from which temperature the card start to throttle ? If the temperature limit can be modified by overclocking tool so I think there is something about the temperature here (on the picture)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019