Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. hissy

hissy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hullo here
    I've noticed that last version of this utility fully recognises my RTX 2070 Vbios (gpu-z dump), and even offers preset for it.
    So, did anyone actually tried this on live hardware?
    Are we saved?

3. Dialup David

Dialup David Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ****, that's exactly what happened. I have no idea how I didn't realize I was using a 3.3v programmer on a 1.8v logic chip.
    I probably flashed that thing 20 times too, so if you're in a pickle and only need to do it once apparently that's fine.

Welp, found some back alley seller on a shady Chinese website website that sells them. Had to pay $30 for shipping, but that's better than buying a $500+ GPU.
    Lesson learned! Luckily I'm more than capable of replacing the chip.

joluke and hacktrix2006 like this.
  4. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You don't need an "out of the box" 1.8v programmer, I use a CH341A with an 1.8v module and it work fine :)
    I got the whole thing for less than 10€

5. dzpliu

dzpliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Black screen on clevo systems.

6. hissy

hissy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's disappointing. Any ideas why?

7. awsan

awsan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does any body know what TDP I should aim for on my 2070 on an MSI GE75 9sf considering the Brick is 280w and will I get higher TDP if I upgrade to a 330w brick?

8. Dialup David

Dialup David Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Whew, that's enough modifications and hacks to get an additional ~10-15% gain for my risk tolerance.
    Spent $35 to get half dozen matching part number EEPROM chips from some back alley Chinese site that has a 1.7 Star rating on Trust Pilot.
    As soon as I reprogram the EEPROM, all passes with flying colors. Verdict is indeed that I managed to kill the chip with 3.3v (after a while though) as I lacked the 1.8v Logic converter.
    But that was just the beginning.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, as soon as I go remove the chip I manage to snip all the legs only to have the middle mirrored pads just fall off. This was the "Oh ****ake" moment.
    Getting back to my senses after figuring $600 went down the drain, I realized that I'm not an idiot. Followed the pads to their traces and tried the old "remove the silkscreen" method.
    As soon as I tried to remove the silkscreen from the traces they immediately pulled right off. This meant that I had to trace the circuit back to the next via or SMD part.
    Luckily, that managed to be a ~0603? SMD resistor. That would be easy to run a bodge wire from. Then there was the other pad, this one was a PITA as it was only ran to a via in a group of resistors.
    I managed to scrape away the silkscreen with an xacto knife and tin the via without making a bridge between the other components, or accidentally just pulling them off the PCB all together (takes nothing with a proper iron to push those babies right off).
    [​IMG]

Bodge wires ran, my mind flooded with anxiety and angst. I manged to get it all together and threw the heat sink back on. To my luck it FAILED to show video output. About to give up, I noticed that it looked like the bodge wire was rubbing on the ground side of the capacitor in the picture above. Carefully I rebent the wire to remove any short. Trying for the last time, I was lastly greeted with the Prema Mod logo. The machine is now back and running. I've never been more happy to have a stock GPU as this. What an experience.

hackness, c69k, Falkentyne and 3 others like this.
  9. andy marchi

andy marchi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can anyone give me a little help with a MSI GT73 GTX1080?

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hard to help you if you don't tell us what you need.

kolias likes this.