Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    any hope for nvflash with bypass cert which will allow flashing modded vbios for Pascal?

2. dzpliu

dzpliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    nope. Even programmers aren't working for Turing cards.

3. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  4. dzpliu

dzpliu Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey, I have been trying to read this thread, but the information seems to have accumulated, its a little overwhelming.

I am contemplating editing the vBIOS of my GE75 RTX2070 laptop, to a TDP of lets say 150W, since this same model comes with the 2080 card which is a 150W card, I assume the internals are going to handle 150W.

I have downloaded both the tool here, GPUz, extracted my vBIOS, made backups, and edited via the editor here, to target/limit 150/150. I am thinking the next step is to use NvFlash since it supposedly supports turing GPU.

Is this all correct? Or must I have a physical programmer? If the BIOS doesnt work, can I flash it with the original using NvFlash, or is there any chance (slightest) that my computer will not boot into windows.

Edit: Also in the editor, I am able to edit the power settings, however it says "Unsupported" in the BIOS name and Model rows. Could this pose a problem?

As far as I can tell, Nvidia applied a digital signature to pascal and beyond, but since the 10 series cards were able to be flashed, does that mean this editor has a work around?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  6. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Thanks you a lot, I managed to find core clock (base, boost & co, no unlock it seems), core voltage (I will not touch this now), tdp (unlock and value), temp (unlock and value) but I couldn't find where is located memory frequency on my vbios, can someone have a look on it ? I tried to find idle memory clock (+/- 1 MHz), "boost" memory clock (+/- 1 MHz) but I found nothing (at least "boost" and idle freq were not followed)
    So far this is what I found (attached picture), I will try modded vbios later this week :)

edit because of error in "tdp value"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Turing modding is not supported yet. Bios support is experimental. The developer does not even have a turing laptop card afaik. The source code I believe is available (or supposed to be available) so another person who knows how to mod and bypass the checksum problem can update the program.
    NVflash will not flash ANY modded vbios without a valid certificate, pascal or turing or anything else. A HWprogrammer can flash anything but a turing mod or an improperly done Pascal mod will not POST and you will have to force flash the backup you so wisely created, with the same programmer.

dzpliu and Doc Fox like this.
  8. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you for this info. It is a shame they made this so difficult, because this cards 115W limit is plain stupid.. It barely spins the fans and the laptop has plenty power spare.. I guess they do this to justify the 2080 model.. I shall keep my eyes open for a more experienced users experience flashing an RTX laptop with a programmer. Maybe do that in the future. Thank you for the info!

9. TheQuentincc

Reputations:
    Hi, I modified my P4000 vbios "by hand" (=hex tool), I flashed the bios multiple time, verify multiple time and event tried disconnected and reconnected the "probe" to see if it is still ok, and it was still ok.
    The thing is, when I boot on windows (optimus situation) it tell me that the card is in error 43, I tried to get the same checksum than the original/working vbios (by using mobile pascal vbios tweaker) and it still stuck at error 43.
    What I did wrong ? it might the checksum not valid because MPBT doesn't support my card ? If so, how to know where is located my checksum ?
    Thanks a lot

10. Dialup David

Dialup David Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Howdy guys, I have a bit of a wildcard I'm hoping someone might be able to assist with.

Long story short, got the programmer, took the machine apart, hooked it up correctly, backed up the original bios from the chip. All good.
    Pulled the backup I made into the TDP tweaker and made minor adjustments. (Made a second modified version with the "preset" settings as well.
    So, I have the original, one with higher TDP limits and the final with the preset.
    Go to flash (blank chip, verify blanked (OK), then write and verify the modified bios file. Put together, start > Black screen.
    Go to flash (blank chip, verify blanked (OK), then write and verify the SECOND modified bios file. Put together, start > Black screen.
    Getting nervous I now have a 14lb brick I went back and flashed the backup that was untouched. Put together, start > Boots Fine.

So moral of the story, any of the modified bios files I've made seem to brick the card, but the backup works fine.
    Am I missing something here? I checked the bios checksum and verified they are all matching.
    I'm not quite sure what to do at this point, so if someone could help me, or at least point me into the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

I've attached the three bios's that I flashed, again, all fail except the backup for some reason.

Attached Files: