Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Program and verify a few times, there is a big where it will write 00 to the first value.

2. ccy7

ccy7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello one and all! I recently purchased a Lenovo Legion Y530 laptop with GTX 1060, and wish to remove the power limit. I managed to get a vbios dump with my programmer, but received an error when opening the vbios with pascal tdp tweaker. I also tried to extract vbios using nvflash and gpuz, but both failed. I have attached the vbios, and would greatly appreciate if someone can take a look for me.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00809722031949568607

If it helps, I have a winbond w25q128jvsq chip and bios version 86.06.6D.00.17. Thank you in advance!

@MrGreen1986 you said you used a Clevo vbios for your Asus, did you use one with the same device id, or just a random one? Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  3. MrGreen1986

MrGreen1986 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I used one from this chinese Forums, it had the same ID.

I just used the tweaker to set the power target to 90 und limit to 110 and unlocked the slider, to finetune. I'm not going over 100.. to be safe.

Don't Forget to completly remove the graphic drivers and reinstall.

To find a good OC i would suggest to use afterburners Auto OC - it gives you an good idea how much extra Mhz you card can handle. ( for me it's +167Mhz )

Then find a good voltage where the clock is stable without throttling by locking the voltage using "L" in the curveeditor. Later flatten the courve after this value and remove the voltage lock.

i can keep stable around 1900MhZ@ 925mv, without any throttling from temp or power limit during benchmarks and heavy gaming.
    (except the Pascal throttle steps of course )

also +300Mhz on the VRAM works good for me.

Runs smoth and reaches max 75°C

i noticed your vbios file is 16mb - is that correct ?

did your programmer recognize the chip correctly ?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  4. Scerate

Scerate Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    as weird as it sounds but on my previous system 3770k with Sabertooth Z77 i had the same issue, i actually tried to make a Windows 7 install and there it worked without any issues whatsoever, i even tried flashing several times and the checksum everytime passed. On Windows 10 it was hit and miss if it worked or not. On my new system with 2700x i have no issues whatsoever too WITH windows 10. So if you can do it make a .vhd and give windows 7 a try, cause i guess that you already updated the skypro to the latest version + firmware.

5. ccy7

ccy7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for your reply @MrGreen1986!

My current stable OC is +163MHz on the core and +350 on memory. Anything further than that would crash due to power limit, which is why I'm trying to remove it. I would like to aim for 2100MHz core and 4500MHz memory @ 1050mv.

The thing about voltage lock, clock speed jumps all over the place for gpu intensive games like apex, but would stay locked to where i set it for less intensive games like team fortress 2. My goal is to set a single stable clock speed across all games, but it's not possible for now due to power limit.

Mine runs smooth and reaches max 75C as well, though barely reaches 70C most of the time :D

Yeah I noticed that as well, could be because my vbios is integrated in the system bios? That could explain why I didn't manage to extract vbios using nvflash. It gave an error saying "adapter not accessible or supported EEPROM not found, skipping", though I don't know how to confirm the vbios is indeed integrated in the bios.

Extracted vbios 3 times using programmer and all are 16mb, so the size should be correct, and my programmer recognized the chip correctly, there was no error at all.

6. MrGreen1986

MrGreen1986 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Are you sure that you connected the right chip ? did you identify the chip with nvflash ?

i don't know if this bios with integrated vbios thing will work

7. ccy7

ccy7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used the save command on nvflash and it says identifying EEPROM...., then the error pops up. Is there another way to identify the chip?

I'm quite certain I connected the right chip because nothing else on my motherboard looks like a bios chip...

@TnF had the same issue about 20 pages back, did you manage to extract your vbios?

8. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    That is indeed the main bios. You can extract the GTX 1060 vbios, modify it and then place it back (with MMTool or somesuch).

The main hurdle is finding the right module:
    1. Open bios in PhoenixTool, this will extract all modules.
    2. Do a 'search in files' on all .ROM files created earlier. Term can be something like 'nvidia' or 'GP106' (= GTX 1060) and the .rom you'll find will give you the module's guid through its filename. It's 'D5D0AE68-0882-4DCE-E39D-85B1A2B7A1ED' for the 1060's vbios, in this instance.
    3. Search the guid in UEFITool and note its approximate position down the list (optional).
    4. Open MMTool on the 'extract' page and navigate down to the right guid (same rough location).
    5. Extract the module and modify in Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker.
    6. Save as .rom and re-insert the header from the exported, unmodified file (the snippet before '55 AA').
    7. Use the 'replace' option in MMTool and save the modified image.
    The modified bios can then be flashed with the programmer. Think you'd have to disable TPM and the like in order to run the new bios, but perhaps it'd be fine anyway. You have a full backup now, so there's not a lot that can go wrong; simply flash back the backup in case your new bios won't fly.

Made a modified version for you to try. It simply has some raised TDP limits and an adjustable slider thingy:
    Lenovo Legion Y530, GTX 1060 - bios stock and vbios mod.7z

ps.
    The motherboard of the Y520 with GTX 1060 does show a few more possible eeproms than just the one for the bios, btw. Wouldn't think the Y530 will be much different in that regard, so perhaps you could take another look for a vbios eeprom. That there's an embedded vbios does no rule out a separate, dedicated one on the mb and it would make modifying this thing a lot easier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note that you don't have to trial-and-error with the programmer; simply read out the markings on each chip, google them (+pdf) and the specification sheet will tell you they're really an eeprom or serve some other purpose. Also, an SPI eeprom, such as a typical bios and vbios are stored on, will be marked '*25****', the '25' being at the start or very near the start of the product code.

9. ccy7

ccy7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you @t456 for the very detailed response! I managed to extract my vbios by following the steps here:
    https://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/t...books-vbios-that-is-not-supported-by-nvflash/
    This could be very useful for people with laptops that have integrated vbios like me, or just to confirm the correct vbios is extracted.

I have attached my vbioses below,
    Unedited vbios: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=51640717158783552909
    Edited vbios: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=49505766305130040885

I also did a hex value search using HxD, but I can't seem to find the values of the vbios in the bios. Is that normal?

Will look into other possible eeproms over the weekend, but from your pics it looks like Lenovo redesigned the motherboard for Y530.

Now that I have the edited vbios, what should I do to combine it into the bios, assuming the vbios is indeed integrated in the bios?

Oh, I tried updating the registry values with the edited vbios values, but seems like nothing changed. Come to think of it that's a dumb idea lol o_O

10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Quick question—if we can hex-edit the power limits, can we also hex-edit the clock and voltage curves? I'd like to push my Quadro to 1.8 GHz and faster, ideally, with memory clocked at 8 GHz or faster.