Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    87C is where it will throttle harder and harder.

2. aarpcard

aarpcard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Maybe I'm a bit confused. With a tweaked VBios, with all temp limits set to 91C, and the TDP limit set to 215/258 Watts, both my cards run flat out all the way up to 91C before they start throttling. I think that is how it is supposed to work with these tweaks.

What are people's experiences with pushing that temperature envelope higher? For example, had anyone run their cards at 93C for years with no issues? 95C?

Back when I had 6990m's The hard thermal limit was 110C. I'd ran them at 102C+ for years with no issues.

I guess my question is how conservative is Nvidia being with the stock 91C limit?

3. hans12321

hans12321 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would say that the higher the temps the lower the lifespan of the card. Some live longer, some are dying earlier. It is as it is with human. Some are more resistant to stress and some aren't.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

4. Lumlx

Lumlx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They run flat out because power limit is lifted off. Before power limit was limiting maximum voltage those cards could reach. Now without power limit those cards can reach over 1V and more voltage = more heat. You need to use something like MSI afterburner and make custom voltage/frequency curve. Default curve just use way more voltage than needed. My 1070 couldn't hold 1683 MHz boost at fluctuating 0.85-0.87V and was heating like crazy. After unlocking card 1696 MHz flat line at 0.8V with 6-7 C dropped temperature.

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Smaller process and more thermally dense, plus pushing that far maybe gets you 5% extra to run the cards into the ground?

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    If he try run the chips +-95c. What with the graphics power delivery which is cooled by same heatsink? Will follow same direction/path. A short lifespan.

7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I wouldn't refer to the 6990M as an example of longevity... ;p

I edited the temp limit on my 1070s for a while because on the P370EM the fans wouldn't spin to full until something reached >93C so the slave would sit on 90C throttling hard by ~30% with the fans on about 2/3rds, I can't say much other than the temp limit in the tweaker tool edited vbios works and 94C didn't kill them on the spot (as once the slave was able to hit 94, the fans would spin to full then settle in mid 80s without throttle). Rarely saw heavy enough usage to see those temps in games though, cpu was more the limiter

Unlike the 1070, I've not found power limits on 1080 especially in SLI to be that great a performance benefit tbh.

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    VRMs are designed to fet toasty and they can tolerate higher temps than the core. It's the silicon itself which I think would degrade.

9. kaibsora

kaibsora Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gots a question about this. I backed up my stock vbios using ch341a aand modded it with the preset of this software. My mxm 1060 has a dev Id of 1c20 and I have the sliders tto adjustable. After flashing and going into afterburner, the card is still behaving like before, even tho I set the target w to be 90 from the orig 78 The sliders are still greyed out and the w still doesnt go past 50 with the voltage not going past 1.050. Is this normal?

10. hans12321

hans12321 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have you ddu the driver and reinstalled it?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk