Mobile Pascal TDP Tweaker Update and Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Coolane, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Did you manage to flash your vBios with the skypro?

2. Kalm_Traveler

Kalm_Traveler Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, first thank you so much for the work on this utility!

I made an account to ask possibly a silly question though, regarding this with a desktop card.

If I've already done a power input shunt resistor mod (by adding another 5MO resistor on top of each of the 6 and 8 pin connector resistors) is there any reason to bother modifying the vbios to increase tdp?

Specifically this is for a pair of Titan Xp cards I'm installing to one of my desktop rigs.

I have an SPI flasher that i was trying to use on Titan V cards but I must have been doing something wrong because even reading the vbios chip the data was slightly off vs extracting with nvflash so my flashing attempts did not function.

Anyway thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

3. Support.4@XOTIC PC

Support.4@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Great utility! I'll have to try it out.
    Low temps keep me a happy boy.

4. t456

t456 1977-09-05, 12:56:00 UTC Moderator

Reputations:
    You have to set up the read/write parameters of the programmer to match the eeprom you're attempting to program. These settings differ between chips and using a mis-match results in exactly the kind of symptoms you're experiencing.

Usually the programmer has a library with dozens of eeproms to choose from (manufacturer and model are printed on top of the chip). Some allow you to set each parameter individually. In this case you can google the model nr. and use its specification sheet to find out the required settings.

bennyg and Vistar Shook like this.
  5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It would let you more easily track your real power consumption if you were to remove the extra shunt resistors.

6. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Falkentyne just wanted to ask does the eurocom tornado f5 have the same limitations of hard capping a gtx 1080 to 200w and throttling the cpu?
    I know the mxm slot can handle at least 200w on load with no issues since it has many vrms and mofsets for power delivery and also the gtx 1080 was made for the machine, question is will modding the tdp actually make the gtx 1080 run significantly better considering I would have to buy all the stuff to do the mod in the first place.

At the moment I'm messing around with the bios trying to inject the coffee lake microcodes into the system so it runs a 8600k. Having the full potential of both gpu and cpu will mean that this can become my ACTUAL desktop replacement laptop.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Considering I'm running my GTX 1070 (!) at 230W TDP, I don't see any reason why you're going to have problems with the 1080. The 1080 VRM's can handle it.

Are you talking about the CPU being TDP power throttled if you exceed 330W of total system power (e.g. if you modded the GTX 1080 to something like 250W?).

There is some sort of internal power trip that happens if the GTX 1080 is running at 250W with the CPU running overclocked high, which causes the system to just shut off. But then you just set the TDP slider lower. Like set it with a manual rage of 100% (150W to whatever 250W is, with the "preset" button also pressed in the Pascal editor).

No one has tested (on a GT73VR or GT75VR) what happens if you exceed 330W of total system power. I suspect the 16L13 has the same type of limitation, except you're in much better shape since you would be capped to 91W TDP rather than 45W (unless the EC tries to limit you to BELOW 91W). I don't think there is a single user who has TDP modded a 1080 model MSI outside of China. I've only seen Clevos modded with 1080's past 200W. Pretty much everyone (including most of the chinese users I saw on baidu) were modding 1070's, since obviously they were much cheaper to buy. However regardless, you shouldn't have any problem. Your 16L13 already has a 91W TDP CPU power cap which ignores any bios power limit 1/power limit 2 override settings anyway, so you're already screwed on that front.

But you should be able to bypass both problems by simply using the IMON SLOPE and IMON OFFSET tweaks as mentioned already in the 16L13 thread.
    Set IMON SLOPE to 50. And set IMON OFFSET to -31999 (negative).

This will cause the CPU to report *less* than half the TDP it's actually using in watts, and then you have absolutely no problems whatsoever, no matter what you do with the 1080.

This same trick works on a GT73VR/GT75VR BGAbook too.

However disabling "battery boost" (battery drain at full load) requires EC RAM register tweaks, the internal battery has to be unplugged first, then EC RAM register 31 must be set manually to 09 (with RW Everything) and EC RAM register 42 must be set to 64. That will trick the EC into thinking the disconnected battery is connected and will "re-enable" NOS, which will stop premature CPU throttling (from bypassing the 180W AC system power limit barrier when the battey is removed).

BTW one warning about the "preset" button when using the 19,200 value preset for GTX 1080 in extreme power limits.

This increased value causes the GPU to also use more power on battery power, which can exceed the battery limit, then the EC will just shut the laptop off (seems to suspend windows rather than a direct power off). I saw my 1070 pulling 62W on battery power with the 19,200 value (far more than it's supposed to be pulling on battery).

8. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

OK I will look into that thread, thanks for the info!

About the gtx 1070 pulling more power, did you adjust the power states such as p8 (standby), p0, p1, p2 and p3?

Also my alienware 18 with a gtx 1070 shuts down instantly when playing a game and accidentally unplugged. Funny thing is the card keeps taking the full 120w load from the BATTERY and shuts of the alienware in 5 seconds with 25% battery drain! It would even blue screen telling me its a GPU state error. For some reason this happens only on battery which makes me think that the card starts to malfunction on lower power.

9. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's normal behavior, the SLI systems of MSI and some higher end gigabyte notebooks behave the same way.

DaMafiaGamer likes this.
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Mine seems to handle slowing down on battery in SLI just fine. We are talking minimum clocks though.