1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Mobile Hotspot for Online Gaming...????

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by LeonAffiliated, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeonAffiliated

LeonAffiliated Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What do you guys recommend 4 Heavy online Gaming/and downloading for laptops?... I have been looking at the Sprint/Verizon/CLEAR mobile hotspots/usb.... Please share here on this thread what you use and/or recommend for gaming on the go?... Thanks.

2. Lithus

Lithus NBR Janitor

Reputations:
    3G definitely won't work well for online gaming, the latency is absurdly high. 4G may be fine, at least until the networks get congested as more and more users switch over.

3. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    Seconded. I have tried gaming on my 3G AT&T connection and it's not really even acceptable. Ping is not only high, but it jumps all over the place, and bandwidth is relatively low and irregular. Something designed for it like CLEAR might be ok, but I haven't tried it.

4. Texanman

Texanman Master of all things Cake

Reputations:
    used my bros 4g phone with tmobile... worked like a charm for playing League of legends on the go.... the ping was high (100-140) but it was constant and was just low enough to play and have no lag

5. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    I've tried playing games on my 3G connection, and it ranges from barely tolerable to absolutely impossible.

On a good day, usually really late at night (1 to 4 AM) when there's not much network traffic, I get download speeds just shy of 1Mbps, and ping around 300-400. No good for online shooters, but at least tolerable in slower-paced RPG's and stuff like that.

By far the majority of the time, though, when the network has heavier usage, download rates are crawling along at 50-200Kbps, and ping is 900 or greater. Gaming of any sort is impossible.

Overall, unless 4G is magically a hundred times better than 3G, I do not recommend a mobile hotspot for gaming of any sort.

6. LeonAffiliated

Reputations:
    so not even a 4G/usb connection would be good for online shooters?

7. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    I can't personally speak for 4G, as I've never used it, but 3G is a definite no-no for gaming.

8. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    Look at the number of links you're talking about... wireless is just much slower than wired due to the interference and channel interleaving and such they have to do. There's just no way around it, it's physics. The bandwidth may increase, but you're looking at ping being pretty immutable, and likely being between 150-1000ms. At best.

9. DEagleson

DEagleson Gamer extraordinaire

Reputations:
    I used my Samsung Galaxy S (GT-I9000) with Android 2.3.4 as a mobile hotspot many times when i gotta get my Minecraft SMP fix. :d

When i got HSDPA coverage Minecraft is nearly lag free, but for games that requires near lag free connections a mobile hotspot wont do at all. D:
    The max download speed i can get over this would be 3,6 Mb/s if we where living in a perfect world.

But i live in Norway so i dont know how good the mobile coverage is in the US, but i do love my unlimited data plan. :D
    (Yes its truly unlimited, YouTube on the go ftw. :D )

Also Cyanogen 7 <3

10. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    I also have unlimited data...not bad for a $25/month pay-as-you-go plan.

I would run a custom ROM, but my Samsung Intercept is so crappy that nobody bothers to make good ROM's for it. :p

11. jacob808

jacob808 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just got the t mobile G2x with nvidia tegra 2! Not only can this baby pump out 90 million polygons per second and run unreal engine 3 it's also 4G. I tried testing it out as a hotspot with my toshiba x505 playing BFBC2 and it's just as fast as my clearwire connection! Now I'm thinking about just canceling my home modem connection and just using this instead. It's a great mobile phone for gaming, hot spot, and did I mention it has a dual core CPU/GPU from nvidia :)

12. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Reputations:
    I can say true 4g lte (not tmobile) is super fast. My uncles Verizon thunderbolt gets 25down and like 18up, Mbps! I can play online shooters on my dsl at 3 down .7 up lol so yeah 4g lte should be okay if u get unlimited. Ping was solid too forget what he was pinging at on the speed tests

13. jacob808

jacob808 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wasn't really impressed by Tmobile's 4G on my phone, but when I used it as a hotspot and connected my gaming notebook to it I had better download speed 4-7 Mbps downloads, than my home modem connected to router (Clear ISP) which gives me about 2-6 Mbps download.

I live in Hawaii and before I've only had Clear as my internet service provider, so usually with Clear I'd get 100 as my lowest ping on BFBC2 server ping, in game I'd get about 250+, with Tmobile's 4G being shared through my phone as a hotspot, I get as low as 90 ping server side in BFBC2 and 180 in game, so yeah, as far as the OP's inquiry, and infact I always wanted to know this too, and now I know, that a cellphone that has a 4g data plan is very sufficient for online gaming even for something as demanding as Battlefield Bad Company 2 Multiplayer.

14. DEagleson

DEagleson Gamer extraordinaire

Reputations:
    True "4G" is LTE, and i guess it could work for gaming.
    Now i got a great ISP, no throttling or that crap and my ping is usually well below the 50 mark in BC:BC2.
    In CS:S i got around 15 ping. :D
    I can do even lower on servers in the same country.

15. LeonAffiliated

Reputations:
    what do you guys think about the EVO 4G Phone hotspot($30 a month+)with Sprint, has anyone used it on a gaming laptop? and/or how did it perform with games such as bfbc2 and or crysis 2?

16. Bwoody2016

Bwoody2016 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a atrix 4G thats basically extreme 3g. I've been able to playing games online with little to no lag. Haven't tried FPS but RTS games seem to do fine. I hit 2-5 mb/s depending on where I'm at. Still not as fast as a iphone 4g but it does the trick.

Unlimited data FTW!

17. CrAzYsIm

CrAzYsIm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Tethering using iPhone 4 and 3G, I was able to play Modern Warfare 2 on my laptop without any lag.

18. LeonAffiliated

Reputations:
    wow really? I am hearing on this thread saying 3G is just impossible to play FPS, yet you say you are playing MW2 tethering your Iphone 4 of off 3G???? I'm confused?...

19. Mastershroom

Mastershroom wat

Reputations:
    I think he's highly exaggerating "no lag". And MW2 is an inherently laggy game due to its lack of dedicated servers; ping is normally between 100 and 300 in that game anyway, so a ping of 300-400 (pretty good for a 3G connection) wouldn't really be that far off.

20. LeonAffiliated

Reputations:
    than I am guessing I should be just fine with an Evo 4G running the mobile hotspot...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.