Mobile GTX 1080

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Cloudfire, Jun 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think it'll be similar to last year. There was the 980M and a 980 in a laptop. We'll probably see this again - 1070M & 1080M and 1070 & 1080 in a laptop.

Perhaps next year (if we're lucky) or with Volta they will transition to entirely "desktop" class GPU's in laptops because Volta should be 10nm and have HBM, etc. This will allow them to save space and pack even the best of GPU's into a mobile device. We may even see the Volta Titan in a laptop one day with 32GB's of VRAM. :D

I don't really want to make the Volta discussion thread, so someone else please take the heat and do so sometime next year (2017). :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    jaybee83 and TBoneSan like this.
  2. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Do you really think that Nvidia will release Volta in just 1 year after a radical manuf. process change?
    I don't think we can realistically expect anything before being 2 years on 14/16 nm.
    They're not even done releasing Pascal in it's completion on desktop yet... and its the middle of 2016.

Also... all these desktop class gpu's in notebooks is a bit ridiculous.
    OEM's will probably go to extreme lengths to create laptops capable of taking desktop grade GPU's apparently while leaving AMD with proverbial scraps (if history repeats itself that is).

For that matter... only a very tiny % of the population would be able to afford these laptops, which would also be quite heavy as well, at which point you lose most of the mobility to begin with (except for having everything cramped into a smaller package that makes it easier to transport the thing from one location to the next) - so, basically, you're far better off getting a desktop computer in that case than a laptop.

Cakefish and TomJGX like this.
  3. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Volta is coming in late 2017, at least the HPC chips, because of the contract for the Oak Ridge Summit supercomputer but outside of that, we won't see Volta until 2018.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    GTX 1080M Q3 2016
    2048 cores

GTX 1080 H2 2017
    2560 cores

Volta: Mid 2018

my 2 cents

jaybee83 likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wouldn't Nvidia offer both 1080/1080m at the same time in 2016, and it's up the vendor to ship what they can when they can?

If the 1080m is available and the 1080 is already available, both GPU's have existing laptop lines with demand for upgrades right now.

Noone is going to wait until H2 2017 for a new laptop with Pascal.

It seems like too long to wait, for either the 1080m or the 1080.

6. Heatshiver

Heatshiver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How much are these 1070M/1080M GPUs supposed to go for? Or even just the total price of the laptop that holds them?

7. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    They shouldn't be much more than the GPU's they are replacing. Let's say $720 over at RJTech and the usually $1000+ samples from UpgradeYourMonkey.

8. gohan00

gohan00 Newbie

Reputations:
  9. Heatshiver

Heatshiver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was thinking that laptop prices would at least edge up, but I guess I'll see...

10. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A lot of sites have been reposting that (pc gamer?) article but I'll wait for nvidia to tell us for sure first. Even the more reputable publications get it wrong or things change prior to launch sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.