Mobile catalyst 10.10 whql are out

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by oqix, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antisniperspy

antisniperspy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    joins with my mountian dew and some fries.

2. miahsoul

miahsoul Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry, I've been reading for a bit, and have become interested in these drivers. I was gonna dl one but then there was all this confusion on whether it worked or not, so I didn't. Could any one please provide the working driver link?

thanks. :D

3. mrwhiteshadow

mrwhiteshadow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    --- UPDATE ---

Unfortunately I experienced some screen distortion with Catalyst Mobility 10.10 after the screen turns on again from its turned on (sleeping) state. The only solution was to restart. Since I like to turn off my screen when I leave my notebook alone for some time, I had no choice but to revert back to Catalyst Mobility 10.8 which is working well.
    It is really a pity, because the new 10.10 driver gave me about +2-3 FPS gain in many games without an increase in temps...

4. emolitor

emolitor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's interesting but really shouldn't be in an ASUS forum thread about ATI 10.10 drivers. How about they move to a more appropriate forum?

5. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Because we hate the other forums :mad:

6. Ruckus

Ruckus Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Because the issue over tessellation matters more for Mobile Users I think. It explains why our tessellation units run so poorly even though before Nvidia marketing and Heaven Benchmark became an Nvidia benchmark, tessellation performance was promising. But since then, then major DX11 games like Metro 2033 and Lost Planet 2 have been Nvidia funded games.

Dirt 2 while it runs better on Nvidia still is a great example. It runs at around 45 FPS AVERAGE on even the mobile HD5870M in DX11. And yes Dirt 2 does use Tessellation, tessellation done right. It's only used where it's needed, and it's used efficiently because at the time Dirt 2 DX11 was developed, ONLY AMD was available to help in that regard.

It also explains why since Alien V Predator and BC2 have been released why subsequent DX11 games run so poorly on AMD Mobile DX11. AvP and BC2 run FANTASTIC on AMD Mobile despite it all, averaging over 30 FPS and generally over 40 FPS.

The next gen HD6xxx has fixed the Tessellation for the high end. So even though AMD optimized their tessellation units for 16 pixel, to utilize 100% of their rasterisers, the mobile users will still be hampered. Having 32 or more ROPs will help with that even if Nvidia's method is not utilizing then not even 10%.

That's the other issue with Nvidia hasn't gotten attention. With their current tessellation method, which is used by Heaven extreme mode for example and Metro 2033, each pixel is OVERSHADED BY EIGHT TIMES. It's not just Tessellation itself that is highly inefficient, but it will also bottleneck out shader cores, which is unacceptable IMO.

So AMD's method will optimize rasterization to close to 100% and significantly reduce redundant overshading, increasing the performance of your GPU without any significant visual loss, if any.

So that's why I think in some ways this conversation is very pertinent in a Asus laptop forum. But I would also add that this isn't really Nvidia's fault. It is as the source is Nvidia. Nvidia is the one who is pushing for, encouraging and more than likely, paying for just to spite AMD. But it's the developers who ultimately implement this absurdity. Tessellation is just a feature, how it's done is up to the developers. They can do it efficiently so that it runs on all DX11 capable cards or waste 75% of the processing. But for game developers, they are often not who decide it's the publishers. So if the shareholders supposedly, though I think they have no idea, but if the greedy execs get the payment from nvidia, then yeah...

And yes I do admit, this information is based on what AMD has been offering. But then I do trust AMD and I haven't read of anything that would suggest it's just BS. Even on their driver optimizations they are up front with what they do and what the optimization does, unlike Nvidia who deny even optimizing...

7. emolitor

emolitor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wont drag my point around beyond this post. However, I do question whether a thread specifically about Catalyst 10.10 is the best place to have this conversation.

8. Orthogonality

Orthogonality Newbie

Reputations:
    What driver version and date does it show in Device Manager when one has succesfully installed Catalyst 10.10?

Looked through multiple threads and could not find this information-

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.