Mitsubishi 3000GT or Nissan 300ZX

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by YorkerBH, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    yea im not sure what laws are about RHD cars, I dont think its illegal, but it would most definitely be more of a hassle and would be prone to accidents, something an insurance company could and would charge you up the rear for.

2. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The FD is a much lower volume production car compared to the Z32 and the 3000GT. In addition to that, the Fast and Furious made its price, and the Supra, jump two-fold. The car itself is highly sought after by muscle car/V8 guys as well (Primarily for a rolling chassis), primarily due to the ease of putting a LS1 engine in one (V8 power and near perfect 50:50 chassis balance).

3. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    For the Nissan I would try to get a model newer than 93 because that is when I believe they changed to better steel.

4. stewie

stewie What the deuce?

Reputations:
    LS1 in the FD would be pretty awesome.

5. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    there's a few of those rollin around here in houston. LSx + FD chassis = automatic 11 second car in stock trim. those things are beasts!

i would really vote against the rotary engine for a first time car buyer. they are very high maintenance engines that require alot of attention and care to work reliably. unless u have access to alot of tools and/or mechanical knowledge, the rotary could cause u a few migraines.

of the 3 original choices, i would recommend the is300 for u. it's a great all around RWD platform. it has enough power and it'll let u learn the characteristics of a RWD car. i've seen way too many younger ppl buy high power cars, as their first car, only to end up wreckin them cuz they don't have enough experience behind the wheel.

6. foosa123

foosa123 adsfjldsajflkajsdfa

Reputations:
    +1 for 300zx TT

7. JDELUNA

JDELUNA Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have experience in this subject as years ago I had a 1992 Nissan 300ZXTT 5 speed and was also deciding on a 1993-1995 Mazda RX7 R1 edition. Do not get the RX7 unless you are ready to pay money to do repairs. The engine is the weak point. Most RX7's have had their engine rebuilt at least once or more already because of blown APEX seals. Very easy to blow them, once blown the engine will not be running very well and you have to rebuild the engine. The 300ZXTT comes at 300HP measured from the crank stock or about 240+hp at the wheels. I added a free flow exhaust, under drive crank pulley, and free flow air filter and my HP jumped up to 285HP at the wheels, which is about 340HP at the crank. Raise the boost with a good ECU mod and you are at 400+HP at the crank. I did end up selling the car to someone down the street as I needed something with more room. I do visit it ever so often as the current owner takes extra care of it and babies it. I think he has only put in about 15K miles on it since I sold it to him almost 10 years ago. I hope this helps. God Bless :)

8. Ovrclck350

Ovrclck350 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not going to re-read through all the previous responses, but:

3000GT's have transmission problems, especially in the VR4's.

9. YorkerBH

YorkerBH Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the advice! Also, great to hear from a 300ZX driver, JDELUNA. :)

I'm not the kind of teenager who would pay for a high performance car and just damage it or brag about it. I do have experience but I definitely still have a ways to go.

I've known about the RX-7 issues and do not wish to jump outright ahead without adjusting to a starter/first car. Not a wise choice to just go ahead and buy without the knowledge of what the car is and able to do.

Well, it seems I'm going to go for the 300ZX or the IS300, if they have it at a reasonable price. More likely I'm going to get the 300ZX, any other recommendations or on what base to get the 300ZX to get off of?

10. JDELUNA

JDELUNA Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You also have to remember that the 300ZXTT depending on the year you get 1990-1996 will be pretty old and will need some kind of repairs, etc. The IS300 will be newer and will need less. Also just to let you know the 1996 300ZXTT are only rated at 280HP because they did not have the variable valve timing like the older cars. Again I hope this helps. God Bless :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.