Mitsubishi 3000GT or Nissan 300ZX

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by YorkerBH, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YorkerBH

YorkerBH Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I'm on my way to buy my first car. Got to have it before Senior year of High School starts. ;)

Anyways, I've been looking at a quite a few cars. I don't want to go new because of the some maintenance costs and the fact that some new cars don't offer what I want. I'm not going to go stock and don't look to heavily modify the car too much. My budge is $5K or if higher it would be $7K. I have looked at many cars and have come up with these two as the top of my list, if possible I might also consider a 2001-2004 Lexus IS300.

I'm wanting to go manual but automatic is also fine.

3000GT:

There are three bases for this model...stock, 3000GT SL, and the flagship 3000GT VR4. I'm looking for going between the years of 1995-1999 for this model. I have found a no VR4s over the year of 1993 in my radius, so if it's a option it's most likely between 1991-1993. What I'm not sure of is if it still has a back passenger area even though it's a 2 seater?

I like the 3000GT because of it's body, power and mostly handling. The base 3000GT and the 3000GT SL both have Front-Wheel Drive whereas the VR4 is All-Wheel Drive. The VR4 model has a nice twin-cam, 24 valve, 3.0L goodies. Although, I heard it's heavy causing steering and shifting to be a problem. The VR4 is a much more different experience than the stock non-turbo GT.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to get the stock one and build up from there or go with the VR4?

300ZX:

I haven't done too much research on this car but it has recently gotten my attention.

What this has over the 3000GT is mainly power. The body is also really nice and a little more hefty/boxy. It already comes with a twin turbo at 276HP compared to the GT's 222HP non-turbo. It has more space as a 2 seater but no passenger space in the back. I think it also comes stock as a 4 Wheel Drive suspension. Don't know much else about the 300ZX...

Anyone want to enlighten me on this car?

So any recommendations?

2. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    I vote Nissan because I think they have better engines

but I heard the 3000GT is something else all together to drive (in a good way)

3. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    the 3000gt is a big, underpowered, boat in stock and non-VR4 trim. modding a 3000gt is also very hard, unless u are from japan or have direct access to a parts provider from japan. a very heavy curb weight combined with an underpowered powerplant, usually does not equal to good handling. there is simply very little aftermarket support for this car, in the USA.

between the 3000gt and the 300zx, i would definitely go with a twin-turbo 300zx. the 300zx has a tried and true motor mated with a very vast aftermarket support. a much wiser investment, especially if this will be a first car.

personally, i would buy the is300 over both of the other choices. one of my cousins was one of the first ppl to purchase an is300, in houston. she was on the waiting list for months. i can tell u that this is a great car, all around. it also comes equipped with a variant of the 2jz (supra) engine.

4. YorkerBH

Reputations:
    Thanks for the opinions!

Yea, after doing more research I found the 3000GT to be a little too much to work for. I did although find a few parts without much effort.

Ah yes, the 2jz engine. That is one of the main reasons why I want the IS300, it's sooo heavily tunable and it fits right for my needs as a passenger car also.

Hmmm, I have found cheaper 300ZXs over the 3000GTs...I'm just wondering if having a two seater will be much of an issue in the future.

5. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If I recall are there not 2+2 versions of the 300zx? maybe they were not twin turbo.

If this is your first car I would not be worrying about the future with it, by the time you start to maybe have a family or have a need for more than two seats, you will have a job and have the money to get something else.

ALSO

Insurance rates are alot lower for two seater cars, especially for teenagers. The insurance company sees it as less teens in the car the safer. But the 300zx is a sports car so it would probably even out with that.

6. YorkerBH

Reputations:
  7. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    If you are thinking for the future, you better take a serious look at IS300. Well, it's far from being perfect too, but it's one of my most favorite 4-doors. It's quite nose heavy, 2JZ although great, durable and tunable engine is boat-anchor heavy. The engine and the transmission alone are putting the scales well over 300kg (iron block + auto tranny). Actually it's as heavy as an aluminum block V8 :) If you're going to push it, you better start thinking for a suspension upgrade too.

3000GT, only in VR-4 version, otherwise you'll have a bad taste in your mouth, like a heated in the microwave dinner :) It's a bit heavy, but it have brilliant AWD system and those early models, that you are looking at ('91-'93), actually has some gadgets more (four wheel steer, electronically controlled suspension and etc) than the newer models :)

I love Nissan (and Honda), I can't say a bad word for them :p

From those three... I don't know, but probably the Lexy :D

8. YorkerBH

Reputations:
    I also want to go with the Lexy but it will cost more though, minimum $8K and I don't think I'll plow up that much this summertime. Though if I don't like the Nissan after I'm done tuning it and whatnot, I'm sure to sell it for a IS300. ;)

I thought the IS300 would be lighter on the suspension unless I heard wrong? I never would have thought it would weigh as much as a block V8. :eek:

9. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    The whole car is about 1500kg (like 3300lbs), which is not that bad, it's a mid-sized sedan with a niiice inline-6 after all :D

10. YorkerBH

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.