Minimum Haswell CPU clockspeed for 3k 60fps gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Arthedes, May 18, 2015.

?

Whats your Haswell CPU clockspeed in GHz for gaming?

1. higher? please consider posting below.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 4.3-4.5

10.0%
  3. 4.0-4.2

10.0%
  4. 3.9-4.0

25.0%
  5. 3.7-3.8

10.0%
  6. 3.5-3.6

20.0%
  7. 3.3-3.4

20.0%
  8. 3.0-3.2

15.0%
  9. 2.5-3.0

15.0%
  10. lower? please consider posting below.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arthedes

Arthedes Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of undervolting and underclocking my I7-4720HQ processor in my P35X V3 with GTX 980M to reduce the CPU temps, as currently I'm constantly hitting 95C in several games and throttling, causing stutters. I have not yet repasted but i will do so in the near future with Gelid GC extreme, which I expect to bring down temps up to 5C. I want to underclock it to the lowest possible and leave it at that, as to keep the temps below the throttling range and prevent stutters.

Currently, I'm undervolted dynamic CPU voltage by -60mV and running at 3.2Ghz turbo on 4 cores and 3.1Ghz cache. (seems like a weak undervolt compared to others sadly. -70mV crashes in daily use. I have seen users with 4710hq's undervolting by -90mV, when running 3.3ghz on 4 cores. I expected the 4720 to perform better, since it's a later revision and Intel's manufacturing process would be more refined, thus creating better silicone overall).

When playing War Thunder ground forces at 3k ultra, i seem to manage 60fps with these settings, but when running any lower than 3.2ghz the cpu is bottlenecking it and fps is significantly lower.

I'd like to know your findings on minimum cpu speeds needed in order not to bottleneck a 980M in games.

Kind regards,

Arthedes

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    karasahin likes this.
  2. Arthedes

Reputations:
    When I think of it, the factory voltage of the 4720 might be lower than the 4710's. Whats your voltage when running 3.2ghz?

Mine's 1.014V @3.2GHz -60mV

and 1.034 V @ 3.4GHz -40mV

3. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    You mght want to repaste.. with lower temps, your 4720HQ will run at higher clocks and not throttle.. Also if you are undervolting increase the core current limit to prevent current throttling...

4. Arthedes

Reputations:
    I can't control current limit since i have an HQ chip sadly, but luckily I haven't seen XTU reporting current limit throttling at all.

I do notice power limit throttling in some stress tests, but that's due to the HQ chip being hard limited to 47W according to D2Ultima appearantly. I can't imagine it going above 47W in real world applications like gaming or rendering though but that has yet to be seen...

Definitely going to repaste BTW, gonna use Gelid GC Extreme. How much temp decline can I expect from that? I find it hard to say since its throttling anyway.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    It depends on how good thermal grease you use now and whether the application was good .. Normally + - 5 degrees difference between a good paste and a medium paste.

6. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    I never said you couldn't adjust current limit due to using a HQ chip. I said your motherboard probably does not allow it.

Next, the clockspeed depends on the game. GTA V, 3.5GHz 1080p60fps is not enough if you don't force a GPU bottleneck.
    1080/60 BF4 max graphics shouldn't be a bottleneck with 3.2GHz.
    1080p/60 Mass Effect 3 probably wouldn't even be an issue at 2.5GHz

Please note: higher resolutions INCREASE CPU USAGE overall. It's not by much, but it does. People don't often notice, because it MUCH more likely forces a GPU bottleneck. But with that 980M you got there and a TDP locked CPU... well....

Mr Najsman likes this.
  7. Arthedes

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply.

How come my processor can run at 58W sometimes, although not sustained, when the motherboard does not allow it?

8. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    Your 58W is your short power boost. Your 47W is your long power boost. You can always run at your long power boost. You're actually lucky. Some machines cannot even pass their long power boost. The short power boost is designed to trip off after a while, as I pointed out in my guide when I said "benchmarks betray the power limitations as they are often under the time limit allotted to the short power boost". Machines like the GT80 Titan can draw infinite power on their CPU for that 2.5 minutes, so you could overclock it to 4.2GHz and run Firestrike if you wanted. It'd pass with flying colours. But if you sat and ran BF4 at 125fps, you'd start stuttering like crazy after 2 minutes as your chip downclocked by over 1GHz (with the voltage needed to achieve 4.2GHz, its TDP would skyrocket).

9. Arthedes

Reputations:
    So, any clock speeds you guys found to be too low for certain games? Whats the minimum you can get away with?

10. D2 Ultima

Reputations:
    For me in some games? I realllly want that 4.3GHz

TomJGX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.