Mini-ITX AMD Build Advice

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by DataShell, Aug 10, 2017.

1. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Howdy lads,

It's been a while since I posted around here, and this build has given me an excuse to include NBR in my life again.

I'm doing a SFF Red Team build
    , and it seems as though all mini-ITX AM4 motherboards require an adapter to fit most coolers. I was just wondering what type I would need, and how to make sure that it would be compatible size-wise. This is my first time doing a mini-ITX build, so general advice or feedback on the component choices would be appreciated.

Oh, and don't mind the empty video card slot. Just waiting for RX Vega to drop. :D

2. Carrot Top

Carrot Top Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cryorig H7 for the CPU cooler instead of H212 EVO. Better thermal and acoustic performance, easier to install, less likely to have case/RAM clearance issues.

Edit: Arctic Freezer 33 also an option, but very little info on it...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  3. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Cryorig H7 comes up with the same compatibility warning as the H212 Evo:
    [​IMG]

4. Carrot Top

Reputations:
    It's gonna say that for coolers released before Ryzen, but you can get adapter for free if you contact the company. Freezer 33 doesn't have this issue because it's a newer cooler so adapter is already included. Found a review which puts its performance on-par with H7 and better than H212, but unknown how acoustics compare to H7 (quieter than H212 though). But with reference fan (Noctua NF-A15/NF-F12) on all coolers, H7 is 5C cooler than Freezer 33 at low RPM.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    DataShell likes this.
  5. Zuuk

Zuuk Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ATX power supply and a towercooler? that's not an itx-system :p

[​IMG]

Head to https://smallformfactor.net/forum/ for some food for thought :)
    Some nice builds, good advice, examples etc.

6. Carrot Top

Reputations:
    Some further comments as I scroll down:
    • Get better RAM. DDR4-3200 CL14. Infinity Fabric speed is directly linked to RAM clock on Ryzen. Faster RAM is a flat boost to your CPU under all conditions. I assume you're gonna OC that CPU that's why you went for the lowest R7 SKU (you're gonna need it to keep Vega fed).
    • Get a higher wattage PSU. mITX system, so I assume you're going for the liquid-cooled Vega 64. That's 345W at stock. And you gotta factor in CPU overclocking (1700 @ 4 GHz uses 150W+), as well as the faster RAM increasing power consumption of the memory controller, and the rest of the system components. I'd say a high quality 650W PSU would be good.

7. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was actually planning on getting the Vega 54. Would I still have to make the jump to 550W?
    Whoops. I've never had to really consider the size of the PSU before. :oops: mITX really is its own world.
    EDIT: Does PC Partpicker not account for PSU size though? I thought its compatibility filter took care of that.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  8. Carrot Top

Reputations:
    You'd be fine with 550W for the Vega 56. You want a blower so that likely means getting a reference card. Too bad there isn't a Limited Edition V56 like there is for the air-cooled V64, that metal shroud is sexy. :p

9. DataShell

DataShell Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Would an aftermarket cooler really be all that bad?

10. Carrot Top

Reputations:
    An open air cooler dumps the heat into your case. A blower, like on the reference cards, expels the heat out the back.