Mighty Muscular (Mini ITX) Build

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by jclausius, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just so you get an idea of how hard it is to browse the thread, I had no idea what the name of the case was before you posted this very post. Researched it now, and I am in love with the case :)

Looking right now at options to work in it, and if I can find it anywhere to purchase

Seems like the only readily available option right now is either Air 240 or 280X from Corsair, besides what Silverstone does...

slimmolG and jclausius like this.
  2. Georgel

Reputations:
    I decided to purchase NZXT 400i :)

Not quite a SFF Case, but should do well in every area there is, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I really wanted a little glass window to stare at the electronics inside...

3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Pls post plenty of pics of the build... Both during and completed.

Best of luck.

Georgel likes this.
  4. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think the mini-desktop is not a solution because you still have a stand alone monitor, case, keyboard which you will have to carry around should you wish to relocate. This is not a problem with the weight but with the impracticality. With a laptop, even if heavy, you can take it with you in the living room, or the kitchen, for a while, it's just one piece and maybe one power lead if you need mains. Can't do that with the mini-desktop. Therefore why go for a mini-ITX desktop that limits you on cooling and components and not go for a slightly larger case where you can add in almost anything you like? When the time for transporting comes you will not care about a small increase in desktop case size because your main problem will be the leads, keyboard, screen (protecting the screen for transport), etc etc

Georgel and ajc9988 like this.
  5. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    This is why we need roll-up displays!!! Then the keyboard and mouse is trivial.

jclausius and Porter like this.
  6. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What 's a rollup display?

7. Georgel

Reputations:
    It wasn't a solution

This is why I ended up with this

I need a desktop powered PC for work

I may eventually get a slim notebook for travel tho

[​IMG]

Zymphad and ajc9988 like this.
  8. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    It is something the industry has been working on. Basically, think of a thin display that is able to rollup and go into one of the tubes you use for posters, paintings, schematics, architectural designs, etc.

It is trying to move away from glass to a thinner material to which you attach the components necessary. This may require the PSU to be removed from the display, along with component inputs being on a separate bar, similar to Samsung having that one plug that connects to the display on their TVs, then the bar having all of the inputs.

It is the same technology, roughly, that allows for the new fold-able phones and that new tablet like fold-able device.

Just imagine that, but larger and where you could roll it up, put it in its tube, sling that over your shoulder, and go.

Granted, you wouldn't want that to go work in a coffee house or similar, but other times would be nice, like LAN parties (does anyone even still do those?), or keeping a non-networked small build with enough power, but kept by one's side.

Overall, still don't think it will replace a laptop, but it is something that is interesting.

Georgel and jclausius like this.
  9. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's been almost 18 months, and I haven't missed my laptop in the slightest. Now, granted the display can be an issue if you're going into the great unknown. But if you're constantly moving around in a business or home environment, I haven't encountered a situation where someone didn't set me up with an HDMI flat screen or LCD panel. Also, the mouse / kb isn't really a problem with wireless solutions, they are compact and just come along for the ride.

I guess I don't understand what cooling limitations this may have, but for this particular setup, the # of cores *could* far exceed any laptop (18 cores if I had the budget for it). But for the current 8 cores it hovers low-30s peaking at high 40s when taxing it under work conditions. But also, I do admit, I don't have to worry about cooling a high end GPU at the same time.

I grant you this solution won't be for everyone, but for what I needed it to do, and for the price tag compared to an LGA laptop that wouldn't burn up on me in 2 months, I have no regrets.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    slimmolG and ajc9988 like this.
  10. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OK, I need something similar too, a larger screen maybe 20", better performance - there is guy on youtube that has placed a screen/panel on hinges on a small-ish ITX case and therefore made his own "laptop" (more like "luggable").

If there were a case standard like mini-ITX but to include additionally dedicated space for a battery and a removable or hinged frame for a display panel... You realise a 17" 4K display like the most wonderful AUO found on the AW17R5 (and many Clevos) costs $60 retail (imagine the miniscule trade prices Dell/Clevo pay and how much they then charge...). Motherboard manufacturers would then make the new Laptop-ITX standard motherboards, and graphics cards, and you'd be able to put in your own panel as you saw fit...

jclausius likes this.