middleweight 17inch for coding

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by skyrunner, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyrunner

skyrunner Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    up to ca. 3000 EUR

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15.6 absolute minimum, aiming at 17.3

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Poland
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    YES
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    software development/web browsing
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    i'm looking for something near desktop replacement but without gaming activities
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    not really
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    anything above 1.5h is acceptable
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    buying online is totally fine
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows
    Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    FullHD or 4K
    13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    doesn't matter
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    it doesn't matter that much
    Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    at this point i consider at least 512 MB (ideally 1TB) + 2 TB HDD

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    i'm not in huge rush, i'm able to wait some more time if there is an interesting laptop premiere ahead
    17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    ideally 4-5 years
    18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    long, with replacement laptop. so not really an issue.
    19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    i can live with the shipping option

Few words from me. Currently i own ASUS rog g750jh for almost 5 years. Few weeks ago one of the hinges started breaking and i think it's about time to switch to something else. The problem with this is laptop is its weight - 5,4kg. Yes, i'm looking for something lighter. Something up to 4kg will be ok. I care more for having no problems with throttling rather than having a really light laptop.

The priorities are SSD (at least 512MB), RAM (ideally 32GB) and a CPU. I prefer the the I7 8th gen Intel CPU with six cores. Gaming potential is not really important.

What i have considered so far:
    Dell XPS 5970 - i like the design, i found a nice config with 2TB SSD and 32 GB RAM, (also 4K - i don't know if it's a real advantage or not on such a small screen) but i rather want go with 17,3 screen and i don't know will it throttle during code building
    Clevo PA71HS-G - i can have a great spec (2TB SSD + 1TB HDD+polished heatsinks+thermal grizzly conductonaut) with the cheapest price tag around this bunch, but i'm worried about reliability, overheating, overall quality
    Dell Precision 7530 - nice but only 15inch laptop is in my price range
    ASUS rog scar 703GS - lightweight ROG laptop, has everything i need, but they sell it only with 256 SSD, i'd have to upgrade it on my own
    Lenovo ThinkPad P72 - base laptop's price is ok, but i would have to install SSD + RAM upgrades on my own (on shop's configuration page it is just not worth it)

So i'm in pickle here, there are few alternatives - go with business or gaming models, 15.6 or 17.3, FullHD or 4K. An ideal candidate would be probably a reliable, mid-lightweight 17,3 with modern, but not screamy looks and a decent keyboard as well.

2. ksm123

ksm123 Newbie

Reputations:
    Have you considered Precision 7730 with integrated GPU only. This is not readily available in Poland, but you should be able to order it.
    On German Dell site 7730 with i7-8850H, iGPU, 32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe, 2TB SATA and FHD UltraSharp display is 2850€. So you should be able to convince a reseller to beat 13k PLN
    In about week and a half I should be able tell you something more about Precision's keyboard and one of Warsaw's resellers.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

These are all the laptops that I could find to might fit your budget: noteb search. I've searched for laptops with a 17-inch display, 16gb of RAM minimum, Windows, and an integrated or weak video card.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

I suppose the cheapest you can get is the Clevo N871EZ, not sure if there are any Clevo resellers in Poland.
    If you are a professional, however, I would recommend one of the mobile workstations, the Dell 7730, Lenovo Thinkpad P72, HP ZBook 17 G5. Any of these laptops should be fine for your needs and should last a long time, they are built with excellent reliability and come with a great warranty.

Now, it all depends on which one of them you can find in Poland and in what configurations. There is also the possibility of ordering them from Dell's German website, or Lenovo's German website. You can configure them with a US keyboard and the warranty is valid anywhere in Europe.

4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
  5. skyrunner

skyrunner Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the answers.

Prices compared to German counterparts are pathetic. I might be able to order one directly from Germany, depending on if i can get the VAT back. Few years back my ex-company gave me a Dell Precision laptop to work on and i remember the keyboard was good and a general feel of the laptop was really ok.

We have at least two Clevo resellers here in PL. They sell it under different brands. Pricewise, it's a great choice. I just don't know how durable those clevo casings are and will it make a significant fan noise during idle.

Dell 7730 might be an option here, the other two are out of my price range if we consider the specs i need.

That's an interesting option. But it has an old SSD interface, SD card reader is slow and the looks is a bit too "gamy" for me. And it has no thunderbolt port, i don't need it right now, but who knows what's going to happen in 2-5 years. This laptop will stay with me for a while so i need to plan few steps ahead.

At this price point, i expected it's going to be easier than this. i like ASUS rog scar GL703GS - it's decently priced right now and i like the moderate looks of it. ASUS will soon release ASUS GL704. The smaller version of it (GL504) is already available, apparently they've improved cooling and materials, still no thunderbolt port though and they kind of made it look worse for me with those terrible transparent WSAD keys. Still, i could consider it if they improved cooling. So i guess, i might go with Dell or wait for GL704 to be available to check its pricing and then make the decision. I'm in no rush.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  6. ksm123

ksm123 Newbie

Reputations:
    About Clevo in PL:
    DreamMachines are Prema partner, so you'll get the best available BIOS.
    I was not able to find any info about BIOSes used by Hyperbook.

7. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The latest Clevo's have better chassis. Most Clevo chassis last about 5 years, but the newer ones should be better. Clevo is good electronic wise, and their motherboard and electronics tend to last a long time if properly cooled.
    The Asus GL703GS should be avoided due to poor cooling.
    The GL504 is actually a good laptop and Asus really improved the cooling in this one.
    We don't; know anything about the GL704 at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.