Mid-range laptop with decent graphics - shall I wait?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Balint Sipos, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balint Sipos

Balint Sipos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I am reasearching to buy a laptop for my fiance to replace her old(er) Packard-Bell piece. Can you please help with finding the right one?

Now here are the criterias:
    - larger than 13" but not 17" Full HD screen
    - decent battery time 4+ hours (under normal use - films, internet)
    - fairly ligthweight (doesn't need to be superlight just not like my 4.5kg rig)
    - ok(ish) graphic output. either a higher end integrated card (iris pro maybe?) or dedicated graphics (keep in mind that with dedicated the battery time is much worse and I try to avoid that). It should run things like: Dota 2, Orcs must Die2, Divinity Original Sin
    - hybrid hard drive or just SSD
    - AC wifi
    - cost: max 1000-1100 $ (can be way less of course if there are options)

Now the one I have found so far is a custom made one from XoticPC: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np2740-clevo-w740su-p-6201.html

SAGER NP2740 (Clevo w740SU)
    14.1" FHD
    i7-4770HQ
    Intel® Iris Pro 5200 Graphics
    8GB DDR3 1600MHz
    4.20 lbs with 6-cell Battery

Can you comment on this and maybe recommend better ones that suit these criterias?

Since the new Broadwells and a bit later the Skylakes are coming out, shall I wait a bit so the prices for 4th gen CPUs get lower or even wait for these new ones? Would it worth it?

Any help is appreciated :)
    Thanks a lot

Balint

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. derkeysersoze

derkeysersoze Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    If you can push to 1100-1300, you can get the Sager NP8651 with 970M.. it will be perfect and quite futureproof.. otherwise, the Y50 is available for less but with 860M.. There are a few sales so price is around 800-900 for 1080p IPS model.. Do not get the other screen models as they're crap..

4. Balint Sipos

Reputations:
    Thanks guys. I've checked the Y50 and for this price point it has pretty good specs. Although it's getting a lot of bad reviews apparently. Not sure if I believe those though.

I wouldn't go as far as the Sager NP8651 as the video card is unecessary. The laptop isn't supposed to be a heavy gaming laptop, weight and battery life are bigger concerns to my girlfriend. I always glance back at the Sager NP2740 because of this. A decent integrated video card would make the laptop less heavy and improve the battery quite a lot. But I can be convinced otherwise :)

5. derkeysersoze

Reputations:
    a lot of the bad reviews are from the older non-IPS screen. the special going on now is 899 and has the IPS screen. i personally owned a touch version of the Y50 and liked it except the screen wasn't the best.

edit; let me clarify. I owned the y50 prior to the IPS update. i had no complaints about the machine except the screen and that seems to be addressed and no longer a problem.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  6. Balint Sipos

Reputations:
    cool that sounds much better. how was your battery life during non-gaming circumstances?

7. derkeysersoze

Reputations:
    When i used it at the coffee shop i would play some games and browse. i would say around 4 hours with wifi + low power mode ( it restricted the CPU to around 1.6 ghz ) and maybe 2 hours when playing a game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.