1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Microsoft Surface pro VS all others

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by SweeT EviL, Dec 11, 2012.

1. SweeT EviL

SweeT EviL Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This concept is very interesting to me. A win8 tablet that is also a pc/laptop.
    From what i know theres the surface pro, samsung ativ smart pc pro and asus transformer.

All I do is download & watch HD movies(i.e. connect to a tv), surf the net, use office and maybe read pdfs
    Also the mobility idea of it is great.

So theres the surface pro(one big con of it is that it only have one USB) and all the others, what do you suggest?

2. Samcrac

Samcrac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    While the Surface Pro sounds good, there will be a ton more offerings available in the near future. It is tough to gauge which Tablet to get while they are all in the early stages!

3. SweeT EviL

Reputations:
    From what I saw this kind of tablets that comes with i5, in the near future, are only surface pro, ativ smart pc pro and the transformer
    I dont want to wait too long and the surface pro comes out in a month so its in the range of reasonable.
    Is there more of this kind of powerful tablets?

btw - how can I solve the one usb port problem? Is there some "usb multiplier"?

4. Geekz

Geekz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you could try a usb hub although i'm not sure if the lone usb would be able to power all those devices all at the same time.
    if it's for mouse/keyboard logitech has it's unifying software which should work fine (although it defeats the purpose of a tablet nad keyboard cover)

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Don't forget the Vaio Duo 11, the Dell XPS 12, and the Lenovo Yoga 13. All are Ivy Bridge i5 convertible tablets. The Sony is my favorite (see the signature), the Dell is my second favorite, followed by the Surface Pro, followed by the Yoga 13 (don't like how the keyboard is on the back of the device when not in use), followed by the Ativ Smart PC Pro (personal dislike for the company as a whole; not saying others have to agree).

The Vaio Duo 11 and the Dell XPS 12 both came out in October and there are a number of owners on this forum and tabletpcreview. Particularly the Vaio Duo 11, which has a dozen or so owners on Technology Guide's various forums (this is a Technology Guide forum).

6. pepper_john

pepper_john Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would go with Lenovo Yoga.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    If you don't mind me asking, why? It's only $100 cheaper than the Vaio Duo 11 and Dell XPS 12 and it seems much inferior to me. 900p screen instead of 1080p, plastic case instead of premium materials (magnesium alloy on the Duo 11 and aluminum and carbon fiber on the XPS 12), and in tablet mode, the back (which I use to hold the tablet) isn't a solid surface but instead is a deactivated keyboard.

Are there big advantages to the Yoga over the Sony and Dell that I'm missing? That's not a flame but a serious question.

8. SweeT EviL

Reputations:
    Mitlov, your suggests (Vaio Duo 11, Dell XPS 12 and Lenovo Yoga 13) are not the same idea as the surface pro.
    They are all "laptop like", where the surface pro(and the others) are powerful tablets with plugin keyboard.
    The vaio 11 look interesting however the built in keyboard, which lead to heavier and thicker device, ruin the hole package.

9. Peon

Peon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Off the top of my head, there's also the Iconia W7 and the Thinkpad Helix.

10. KCETech1

KCETech1 Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Im kind of eyeing the Iconia W700 myself since I still use an old W500 to this day for some basic tasks that require a full x86 system for

11. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Samsung ATIV SmartPro 700T is also worth a look. It would seem that Lenovo also has two similar setups coming up; the Lenovo IdeaPad Lynx and Thinkpad Helix. The Lynx is confirmed to have a battery in the keyboard dock as well, boosting battery life to 16 hours (dual-core Intel Atom). The Helix is rumored to have the same setup, but will be using a Core processor.

12. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    All these new form factors optimizing Windows 8 are really enticing, but I think both the hardware and W8 have growing pains to work out and I would advise holding off until around March 2013 if you want a piece of gear you can use for at least a couple of years without making significant sacrifices. If I really needed to buy one by January, my dark horse favorite is the Surface Pro, but don't confuse that with the utility of a laptop with a flip-screen like the Duo 11, Dell XPs 12 or Lenovo Yoga. Then again, they don't weigh 1.5 lbs.

13. SweeT EviL

Reputations:
    what happens around march 2013?

14. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    Intel Haswell update. How much of a boost it gives remains to be seen.
    As soon as it is released, expect a whole raft of new laptops to come out.

15. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    Thank you for answering for me! Actually, my guesstimate of March was a combination of Haswell coming into focus (probably not in hardware til apr-Jun) plus product cycles for laptoops and tablets have become condensed to 4-6 mos so even without a new major cpu/igp advance - and Haswell is supposed to be major,especially in energy and heat efficiency - there should be a round 2 of hybrids, which came out in October, mostly tied to the launch of Windows 8, so there should be significant "refreshes" of the new models out in October 2012 as well as all new models by brands that incorporate the learning from mistakes made in round 1 by Microsoft, Asus, Lenovo and Samsung.

Hardware technology has long been frustrating to buy because for decades now a better, cheaper model has always been about 4-8 months away; it's just that now technology product cycles are shortened such that the wait is more like 3-5 months now and the improvements are often more substantial than what we've waited up to a year for in the recent past.

Translation: the tablet/hybrid products of today are going to seem quite primitive, and likely a good bit more expensive than what the next cycle, March-June, is likely to bring. Put another way: as demonstrated in this and similar threads, none of today's premium tablet/hybrid products hit all the high notes, and they are all too expensive; that should change ofer the next 6 months and beyond.

I think. ;)

16. Peon

Peon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you're waiting for Haswell, you'll likely have to wait a bit longer - at the moment, all signs point to Haswell's release being sometime in June 2013, not March :(

Of course, Intel could always give everyone a pleasant surprise, but with AMD having pretty much thrown in the towel after Bulldozer, I'm not holding my breath.

17. pepper_john

pepper_john Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did not notice this until now. IMHO, yoga is the most versatile win8 hybrid right now because it's super easy to flip over to become a tablet and the IPS display is very nice. I did not have a chance to take a look at Dell 12 but the keyboard on Vaio is too small to me. The keyboard of the yoga is small but the one on VAIO is even much smaller.