Microsoft Surface pro VS all others

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by SweeT EviL, Dec 11, 2012.

1. SweeT EviL

SweeT EviL Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This concept is very interesting to me. A win8 tablet that is also a pc/laptop.
    From what i know theres the surface pro, samsung ativ smart pc pro and asus transformer.

All I do is download & watch HD movies(i.e. connect to a tv), surf the net, use office and maybe read pdfs
    Also the mobility idea of it is great.

So theres the surface pro(one big con of it is that it only have one USB) and all the others, what do you suggest?

2. Samcrac

Samcrac Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    While the Surface Pro sounds good, there will be a ton more offerings available in the near future. It is tough to gauge which Tablet to get while they are all in the early stages!

3. SweeT EviL

Reputations:
    From what I saw this kind of tablets that comes with i5, in the near future, are only surface pro, ativ smart pc pro and the transformer
    I dont want to wait too long and the surface pro comes out in a month so its in the range of reasonable.
    Is there more of this kind of powerful tablets?

btw - how can I solve the one usb port problem? Is there some "usb multiplier"?

4. Geekz

Geekz Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you could try a usb hub although i'm not sure if the lone usb would be able to power all those devices all at the same time.
    if it's for mouse/keyboard logitech has it's unifying software which should work fine (although it defeats the purpose of a tablet nad keyboard cover)

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Don't forget the Vaio Duo 11, the Dell XPS 12, and the Lenovo Yoga 13. All are Ivy Bridge i5 convertible tablets. The Sony is my favorite (see the signature), the Dell is my second favorite, followed by the Surface Pro, followed by the Yoga 13 (don't like how the keyboard is on the back of the device when not in use), followed by the Ativ Smart PC Pro (personal dislike for the company as a whole; not saying others have to agree).

The Vaio Duo 11 and the Dell XPS 12 both came out in October and there are a number of owners on this forum and tabletpcreview. Particularly the Vaio Duo 11, which has a dozen or so owners on Technology Guide's various forums (this is a Technology Guide forum).

6. pepper_john

pepper_john Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would go with Lenovo Yoga.

7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    If you don't mind me asking, why? It's only $100 cheaper than the Vaio Duo 11 and Dell XPS 12 and it seems much inferior to me. 900p screen instead of 1080p, plastic case instead of premium materials (magnesium alloy on the Duo 11 and aluminum and carbon fiber on the XPS 12), and in tablet mode, the back (which I use to hold the tablet) isn't a solid surface but instead is a deactivated keyboard.

Are there big advantages to the Yoga over the Sony and Dell that I'm missing? That's not a flame but a serious question.

8. SweeT EviL

Reputations:
    Mitlov, your suggests (Vaio Duo 11, Dell XPS 12 and Lenovo Yoga 13) are not the same idea as the surface pro.
    They are all "laptop like", where the surface pro(and the others) are powerful tablets with plugin keyboard.
    The vaio 11 look interesting however the built in keyboard, which lead to heavier and thicker device, ruin the hole package.

9. Peon

Peon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Off the top of my head, there's also the Iconia W7 and the Thinkpad Helix.

10. KCETech1

KCETech1 Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Im kind of eyeing the Iconia W700 myself since I still use an old W500 to this day for some basic tasks that require a full x86 system for