Microsoft Surface Book

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by cj_miranda23, Oct 6, 2015.

1. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. RS4

RS4 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    The 3:2 aspect ratio in a normal laptop (or at least a convertible that functions as a normal laptop when connected), AND one with a dedicated GPU? Pretty awesome and pretty unique on the market right now. If I was in the market for a smaller laptop right now I'd grab one of these in a heartbeat.

4. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree. Now that thing looks attractive for once. A machine in a form factor we need, rather than that insufferable idiocy of 16:9 screens everywhere. Discrete NVidia GPU integrated in the base, so you can have the graphics performance when attached to the keyboard, but still a lightweight tablet on the go. Excellent design, I have to hand it to them. The only thing I am waiting for before I pull the trigger is the 1TB storage configuration. Right now their pre-order page only goes up to 512GB in the top configuration, but on their comparison page they list both the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book as coming with up to 1TB of storage. That's the one I want, and that's the one I'll order as soon as it's available...

jaybee83 and booboo12 like this.
  5. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Now I've got to decide between the Surface Pro 4 and this Surface Book. Only thing I don't like about the Book is it's screen size when used as a tablet. 13" is a wee bit too big for me to be handling for a tablet. But considering the Pro 4 is a 12", the one inch of difference in screen size shouldn't translate to too much in overall form factor difference.

6. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    https://twitter.com/surfacebookpro

"Intel HD 520/Nvidia G8 (?)"

Any idea about that NVIDIA G8.

by the way between razer blade and this, which one you guys will choose.

7. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Given that the Nvidia Geforce GPU in the Surface Book has 2 1 GB of GDDR5 VRAM, I can only assume the dGPU being the GTX 950m or a refreshed GT 845m, aptly named GT 945m.
    The GT 845m had a GDDR5 version used in the Dell Insprion 7746, and it makes sense that it would be updated to be apart of the 900m series. It would also be best suited in an ultrabook form-factor compared to the GTX 950m, but who knows, maybe it has a GTX 950m. A GTX 960m is a stretch, so I doubt it would have it.
    EDIT: I should really re-look at the facts, According to the Surface Book fact sheet, the dGPU only has 1 GB of VRAM.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  8. baronng

baronng Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't think it makes sense to have HD 520 + 945M, right?
    their performance are almost the same?

I think it makes more sense to have HD 520 + 965M ?

9. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    The HD 520 doesn't seem to be that powerful as the HD 530 doesn't surpass the GT 845m (a GT 845m is about as good as a GTX 660m or R9 m265x).
    As long as the GPU is more powerful power than Iris 6100 and has GDDR5, then it could be anything. I don't think Microsoft is comparing the GPU in the Book to the R9 m370x or the Iris 5200 in the rMBP 15".
    EDIT: Given the Book's 1 GB of VRAM dGPU (refer to my prevoius post), it limits what the GPU actually could be. I guess it's a custom GPU, but the could be as powerful as the Quadro M1000m, GTX 950m, or between both GPUs mentioned.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    Microsoft claims that it is a custom GPU. Innovative design with the GPU in the keyboard base, so, it is only usable when the tablet is connected to its keyboard.

Love the 3:2 ratio of my Surface 3.