Microsoft Surface Book Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by janvandongen, Oct 10, 2015.

1. xor01

xor01 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wait, what? Since when flipping SB "clipboard" need restart?
    I watch reviews on youtube and you can flip the screen just fine without the need to restart Windows.

2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you have GPU base, you need to restart when you reattach the "Clipboard" to base.

The thing is completely pointless if you do not want GPU base... Just get the Surface Pro (Surface 5). It is only a heavier Surface Laptop with limited tablet functionality at that point.

3. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No... you do not have to restart. You have to wait for whatever's using the dGPU to stop using it.

It's pointless to YOU but other people will love it.

Bronsky likes this.
  4. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You misread. I owned one. You definitely have to restart to re-attach the GPU base. I hope they change this in newer versions. I would re-attach the tablet and it would prompt me to restart to be able to use GPU.

And yes, the non-GPU base model is pointless. It is just a heavier Surface Pro without a dGPU (they are the same price if you add keyboard to i5 Surface Pro option with same specs). Microsoft themselves seem to acknowledge this by only offering 1 no GPU option out of 7 options.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. tassadar898

tassadar898 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nope don't have to restart when reattaching or detaching at all on SB2

be77solo, Vasudev and ThatOldGuy like this.
  6. be77solo

be77solo pc's and planes

Reputations:
    Not sure when you owned one or what might have been wrong with it, but I've owned a SB1 i7/16GB w/ dGPU since launch (did have some initial software issues unrelated to this but very stable once MS ironed out the bugs) and detaching or re-attaching has never required a restart. Not sure what was wrong with yours. I can detach and re-attach all I want without issue, no restart needed. And yes, once re-attached the dGPU works great when needed. If by chance something is using the dGPU you can't detach, but that makes sense.

I have now also purchased a SB2 15", and it too behaves as expected with .... I can detach and re-attach whenever I need and no restarts are required, including use of the Nvidia gpu.

Not sure why your experience went the way it did... I use these machines daily for work and play, both as a laptop and a tablet as needed.

Darkhan likes this.