Microsoft Surface Book Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by janvandongen, Oct 10, 2015.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  2. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some essential accessories I'm thinking about:

Bluetooth mouse (so to not waste half the USB ports)
    Rubber feet to make it more stable (see Paul Thurrott's review)
    Some sort of sleeve to hold that Bluetooth mouse, the power adapter, and a few converters (Displayport to HDMI, USB to Ethernet)

3. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My i7 512 book shipped arrives Monday :):)

Bronsky likes this.
  4. Templesa

Templesa Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    That config is also the only one shipping, Oct 26th - Monday - all the others are shipping weeks / months away...

Update: Looks like they sold out stock of that 128GB dGPU model, or it was a mistake, as it is gone now... lowest end dGPU Surface Book is now a 256GB i5 w/8GB RAM @ $1899

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    Templesa likes this.
  6. jedisurfer1

jedisurfer1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you elaborate on this, I might have to see if my alumni .edu address is still working, I get 5% back till Dec on my discover if I shop at Amazon not sure how the microsoft / discover cashback works.

7. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Pretty cool that microsoft is offering a lower cost of entry for the discrete GPU option. I am really enticed by that model, but I have to wait out some reviews to see how the GPU is in real world use. I know its no gaming laptop replacement, but it will be better than trying to use a surface pro 3 to game on while traveling, thats for sure.

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Comic book artist Dan Parent test-drives the Surface(s)

Tested: Microsoft Surface Book Review

Surface Pro 4 geeky Artist Review (Surface Book too!)

Microsoft Surface Book Vs Surface Pro 4 Comparison/Review

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    RS4 likes this.
  9. isosunrise

isosunrise Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1. Add an item through the microsoftstore edu portal to get 10% discount.
    2. Go through the Discover.com Rewards Microsoftstore portal for 5% off. If you have added or have a double cash back option on your card, it will be 10%.
    3. Check out.

jedisurfer1 likes this.
  10. derylmccarty

derylmccarty Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmmm, some good points.

Already have a MSFT Sculpt mouse (BT) for my "docked" SP3 so will not change it for the SB.

I saw Paul Thurrot's podcast about his experience on the train and the SB slip-sliding away. While that may be a train problem, it applies elsewhere so I will also look for reasonable stickem pads that blend with the silver body etc. But will see how the already built in "grippy strips" actually perform in my daily less-than-high-speed train environment.

I did buy, and it was delivered yesterday, a shoulder bag in a fairly stiff leatherette similar to what I use for my SP3 - but bigger. The company logo on the bag is Sumaclife. Not bad looking and does not give away the contents nor easily allow for pickpocket. But, it may be a bit too svelte for chargers and MSFT docks.

I will likely make a Monday trip to my local MSFT store to see about the new dock. I use one now made up of a powered 10 port USB 3.0 hub, for connecting phone, 1GB Ethernet, MSFT KB, and back up HDD, but also DVR and BR drives though they are not normally plugged in, nor is the HDD since I am more and more confident in OneDrive to back me up.

I gotta find a better speaker and speaker attachment. I now use the earphone jack (3.5mm) to plug into a desktop radio and speaker. Maybe better to go back to an LED monitor with speakers and use a USB connection. OTOH, if someone can figure out a way to get the MDP to do sound like that other company does then certainly that is the way to go: built in stereo speakers with some range not a cheese ass monaural operation like I have. OTOOH, I could get a fairly high quality BT speaker set that doesn't take up much desk space.

Been thinking about a car charger as well to add a few maH between meetings.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    ikjadoon likes this.