Microsoft Security Essentials: You Can't Go Wrong

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by usapatriot, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makaveli72

makaveli72 Eat.My.Shorts

Reputations:
    MSE is okay. Avira free is nice. ;)

2. BamAlmighty

BamAlmighty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes you can go wrong... MSE does nothing for browser attacks.

I visited my mom for Thanksgiving and despite running the latest MSE, she still got one of those Virus Scanner viruses that took the task manager, messing with the reg, and Avast to clean up.

I am done with MSE.

3. StormEffect

StormEffect Lazer. *pew pew*

Reputations:
    It doesn't matter what AV you run, you are still going to get infected eventually. Been working in virus removal for a really large university for a couple years now, and I've had to explain to hundreds (maybe thousands, at this point) of customers why *INSERT AV SOFTWARE NAME HERE* didn't protect them from getting infected.

There is absolutely no AV solution that is foolproof. I've seen systems come in with up to date McAfee, Norton, MSE, Avira, Avast, AVG, ESET (pirated, usually), Norman, Kapersky, Malwarebytes, PCTools, the list goes on and on.

And if all you did was run Avast, deleted some registry keys, and kill some processes in task manager, I'd give you a 50% chance that the system is still actively infected. There is a reason BestBuy's Geeksquad runs 5+ virus scans on a system submitted for malware removal.

4. jpzsports

jpzsports Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree 100%. Ever since I installed it, it's been great. You know it's awesome when I completely even forget it's there. That's a good sign. No annoying popups, it updates quietly in the background and does it's job.

5. niffcreature

niffcreature ex computer dyke

Reputations:
    why is bulgarian the default language?

6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would not say it is the best, I would have to do a lot of studying of other options before saying that. I will say it is more than adaquate. It works well with the OS and so far I've no issue with it.

My daughter with avast got one of those virus scanner bugs but any AV will eventually get defeated if the user is not smart about it. that is life with a PC and job protection for quite a few techies.

Most casual users rarely ever touch a zip file so compression performance for me is not a reason to defer most from MSE. What I like anout it primarily for most casual users is no re-registration. Yes there are users out there that even when free will not register.............

7. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's just the language the browser puts it at.
    Sometimes, it puts it on English by default (varies).
    Just change to English and download.

8. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    MSE is great because it integrates well with Windows.

It keeps freezing up my netbook everytime it tries to update though. It can be very annoying.

9. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Netbooks aren't really suitable for cpu intensive programs.
    MSE IS light on resources by default, however it WILL bog down less capable cpu's (which is likely the main cause of your freeze)

It's strange that MS didn't take the time to look into this.
    The 2.0 version might actually address this problem, or at the very least reduce it somewhat.

Avast isn't really better because every time you download something it can bog down the cpu.
    :D

Each AV has it's own sets of flaws to be honest. If it's not one thing, it's something else.

10. michael_recycled

michael_recycled Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Same applies to MSE 2.0 beta :(

Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.