Microsoft Security Essentials - Any Use It?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by HTWingNut, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    Does this scan emails for malware and viruses???

2. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It should scan files - but Outlook does some filtering of its own.

3. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    I had a look though the setting and i could not find anything relating to emails , I need some confirmation on this.

4. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    You need to define "scans emails"

There are programs that offer email integration, but these programs specifically are scanning email clients like outlook, outlook express...they do this by integrating themselves into the program and scanning emails as they are downloaded from a pop or exchange server. They scan the email before the email gets into your client inbox.

With the advent of webmail (hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc.) this feature is pointless. There is no client to integrate with for your antivirus.

That is the "scan email feature"

If that is the feature you are looking for, no, it does not scan email.

However, if you are using these clients or webbased email, MSE sits resident in memory and scans your computer in realtime. If you attempt to download and infected attachement, MSE jumps up and warns you and offers to clean the infection.

This assumes the virus even gets through your email server. Most email servers are running antivirus software that clean the virus before it ever reaches your inbox. Try and send yourself an infected file through any major email provider and you will never see it.

Email viruses are pretty low risk these days, other than emails that ask people to click on a link to visit a server that infects you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.