Microsoft Security Essentials - Any Use It?

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by HTWingNut, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt is Pro

Matt is Pro I'm a PC, so?

Reputations:
    It should disable it automatically.

It did on my girlfriend's mom's desktop anyway.

2. weinter

weinter /dev/null

Reputations:
    I am using the Forefront...
    No Key or registration required.:D

3. ScuderiaConchiglia

ScuderiaConchiglia NBR Vaio Team Curmudgeon

Reputations:
    It did when I installed it on Win7.

Gary

4. Heiji1412

Heiji1412 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The final is suppose to disable defender, for those people who posted it did for them, ever heard of a glitch? It didn't for him, the end.

5. DarkSilver

DarkSilver MSI Afterburner

Reputations:
    Windows Defender is useless and pointless. Disable it is core, gain back some Resources. XD
    However, I hope MS will improve the RAM Usage for MSSE. It's ridicolous much now.

6. DetlevCM

DetlevCM Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Its not useless.

Because you have not noticed it working doesn't mean its useless.

7. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    Ever hear of needing to know it SHOULD have disabled it for him and that the "glitch" might be indicative of something that NEEDS to be looked into? Ignoring glitches is not a good idea. The end.

Oh, btw the final is not supposed to disable defender, it is supposed to UNINSTALL it. The current version is supposed to disable it.

Gary

8. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I switched from Avira to MSE a few days ago and haven't seen much difference in resources. MSE does use a little more on idle but really it hasn't affected my memory consumption. On idle, I try to use up ~2GB (usually a bit more) out of my 3GB with a RAMDisk (by DataRam) and putting cache and temp files on that plus eBoostr (but I haven't noticed much difference in performance). Even when I have 50+ Firefox tabs open, MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Foxit Reader, Winamp, MSN, Skype, RMClock, and a few other programs open, I don't run out of memory as Windows frees up some memory.

9. Heiji1412

Heiji1412 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You have a point that at times, glitches indicate something, more often than not, it doesn't. I suppose I simply don't see the point in multiple people simply posting "it does for me lol!" What good does that do for him?

Wait, so there is a new version out now? AFAIK, there has only been one version since the last beta, 1.0.1611.0, IIRC it's only suppose to disable Defender, Defender is still there for me on a fresh install of 7, with only 1.0.1611.0 installed on it. So Windows Defender has been uninstalled for you in your system? The Control Panel option isn't there anymore? That's an interesting decision by Microsoft, I should've read the support forums more. The internal version check doesn't detect a new version either, I suppose I'll download them manually, thanks for the news.

10. ScuderiaConchiglia

Reputations:
    If no one told him it worked for them, how would he realize that he did have some glitch. Sorry, but I don't have the same lack of concern for so called "glitches" that you do. An error is an error. If something is supposed to happen and it didn't there is a problem. How serious it is, of course, is a matter of degrees. But when something as entrenched into the internals of the operatiing system as antivirus or antispyware, is not reconfigured as it is SUPPOSED to be, I would be concerned. The ramifications could be VERY serious. They may not be, but since I make my living using my machine 10-12 hours per day, I can't afford to take such risks.

The FINAL version is NOT out yet. Defender is still installed on my machine, just disabled for now. I can't remember if the control panel option was EVER there to be honest. (I never looked.)

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.