Microsoft officially surrenders on Windows Phone

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Dr. AMK, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I switched back from iOS to W10M after app gap on App store due to region based restriction (India) on iOS. So, I had more apps on Lumia than iOS. Tried my hand on S7 and others as well, didn't like it as well. Maybe I'll take a look after couple of years.

They failed once on AOSP IIRC Asha 5xx series. Of course, Google Play will be present just like S8 MSFT edition phones.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  4. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    I for one believe those impossible-to-uninstall-on-most-smartphones Google services shoved down our throats is a problem. F**k Google Play, Yalp Store all the way!

Dr. AMK, killkenny1 and Vasudev like this.
  5. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Ditto. That's why I still hold on to my Blackberry.
    And since there are basically left only two smartphone OS'es, I think some antitrust suits would be just right. Just like what happened with Windows back in the day.

Vasudev, Dr. AMK and Starlight5 like this.
  6. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    @killkenny1 I wanted Blackberry Priv very much, but inability to remove Google services and other pre-installed junk was pretty much a deal-breaker. Also, the perspective of being stuck on older Android versions - which is the case for most smartphones with locked bootloader - ain't stellar either.

Dr. AMK likes this.
  7. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Antitrust might get a bit difficult when you technically don't need the Google suit. Side-loading support on Android is required after all.

BTW, if you hate the current Android per-device ROM model, look into Anbox, which puts Android userland in a container to run within a GNU/Linux environment. On hardware with good FLOSS driver support this approach might work sometime in the future.

Vasudev, Dr. AMK and Starlight5 like this.
  8. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    Ha Ha, Just saw this.

[​IMG]
    John.

kojack, Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.
  9. Step666

Step666 Professional chubby Chris Pratt impersonator

Reputations:
    Except the Microsoft edition of the S8 is not 'custom made Android' by MS, it's just a bog-standard S8 that MS store staff will help you install their apps onto.
    MS themselves state 'Neither the hardware nor the software is different from other Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ devices'.

As @Mitlov correctly states, if MS did try and create a truly custom Android ROM (as opposed to simply pre-installing some of their apps onto a handset), Google would simply refuse certification and it would die a quick and embarrassing death due to lack of apps.

As for the idea of anti-trust suits against Google, the fact is they don't do anything with Android that could fall foul of it.
    They don't require the installation of any of their apps for a company to use Android, which is where MS had trouble back in the day - they literally make the OS available to anyone with no restrictions or even licencing fees. On top of which, they don't restrict the installation or use of any alternative apps to their own services, users can have any other e-mail provider, web browser, sat nav, music streaming service etc that they want.

Simply being widely used is not enough to warrant anti-trust accusations, it's what companies do with their market-share that decides it.

Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.
  10. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I see your point. But for example, if I want to uninstall Chrome or Hangout on Android, I can't do that, and I don't like that.

Starlight5, Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.