Microsoft officially surrenders on Windows Phone

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Dr. AMK, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Microsoft officially surrenders on Windows Phone
    Capture.JPG

Microsoft is giving up on its effort to convince people to run Windows on their smartphone, at least for now. In a series of tweets, Windows executive Joe Belfiore said that the company will continue to fix bugs and security issues but won't add new features to Windows 10 Mobile. Plus, he said, he has personally moved to an Android phone.

Why it matters: The phone versions of Windows have been a virtual nonentity for a while now, but this announcement confirms that Microsoft is moving on as well.

"Of course we'll continue to support the platform.. bug fixes, security updates, etc.," Belfiore said Sunday on Twitter. " But building new features/(hardware) aren't the focus."

He added that Microsoft tried hard, but just couldn't get enough users, which in turn made it tough to get support from app makers.
    Capture2.JPG

Flashback: At a company event celebrating the completion of Windows Phone 7 in 2010, Microsoft's mobile team held an extremely ill-advised "funeral" for the iPhone.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    hmscott, Starlight5 and Vasudev like this.
  2. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    As much as I dislike certain design choices in WP, losing another player in this market doesn't sound funny.

Kent T, t456, bennni and 3 others like this.
  3. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Agree with you 100%

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Maybe MSFT must embrace Android w/ MSFT apps just like Bill Gates and others at MSFT said. I am sure Android with Live Tiles will be a deal breaker for me.

5. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    It a shame for my Nokia 1020 it has an 41MP Sensor and a real xenon flash, But it`s stuck on Win8 Mobile, I wish i could install Android.

John.

Solo wing, Dr. AMK and Vasudev like this.
  6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    I also agree, sad to hear another competitor go.
    Since I'm soon gonna be in a market for a new smartphone, there's basically nothing to choose from, just Android... Kinda lame.

Starlight5, Dr. AMK and Vasudev like this.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Microsoft Launcher for Android (formerly known as Arrow Launcher) doesn’t involve live tiles. It is, however, a pretty good launcher in its current form (currently my second favorite Android launcher after Nova Launcher Prime), and it integrates well with both Bing and Cortana for Android.

Dr. AMK and Vasudev like this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I didn't say anything about android launchers in fact I said custom made android by MSFT should come with Live Tiles.
    I updated my non supported Lumia to insider preview to get RS2 and now no more upgrade path for me, so another few years and I should move on to different ecosystem either Android or iOS or others..

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  9. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    I have been using Android 95% of the time for years, I never liked Windows Mobile so my Nokia 1020 has sat unused, I have never had an iPhone.

John.

Starlight5, Dr. AMK and Vasudev like this.
  10. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I assumed you were talking specifically about the launcher because Windows Phone had live tiles on its launcher (i.e., the home screen).

I think “custom made Android by MSFT” would be a sales disaster just like Amazon’s Fire Phone is. Nobody wants an Android smartphone that can’t access Google Play. I think a much better approach would be to sell a “Microsoft phone” with all of MSFT’s Android apps preinstalled and set as defaults, but still with Google Play to avoid the “app gap” argument that killed Windows Phone.

killkenny1, Dr. AMK and Vasudev like this.